1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Let's hear it: American Fender Dimension basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scubaduba, Dec 4, 2013.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Who here on TB has one of these? I'm really interested in a HH model. Seems like it could be a very versatile instrument.

If you have one, what do you like and not like? What's the neck like and how low can the action go on the fretboard before rattling. Is there much different in pickup output with the pup switching options?

Let's hear it!
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

The AD D HH is the first Fender I have even considered buying in many years. So far, the only one I have had an opportunity to try was a Chinese Squier single pickup (different, 3 blade design) model, but I was impressed with the feel of the neck, nice and slim (front to back) and I assume a B nut width, I just wish it were a bit narrower near the heel end of it. The action was pretty well set up for a cheap in-store bass and I know I would be able to make it play even better once I had time to set it up. Hopefully they will get an AD D HH at some point. A black with white pickguard and rosewood fingerboard would be nice but I don't think Fender offers that combination.

I like the choices offered for pickup selection from the blade switch; it gives the same combinations I get with my two Martin Keith Elfin basses, the main difference being that I can pan between the coils for even more options, tonally, instead of just hard switching between them. My favorite settings are the two outer coils or the two inner coils.
  3. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

Yeah! I'm kind of surprised at the relative lack of activity in the Dimension threads I've seen. This is the biggest new product line launch we've seen from Fender in quite some time and I thought there'd be a lot more excitement and interest in them.

That said, I'm very interested in these basses and how they perform in gig settings. I haven't seen any locally yet (one of our local MI shops just closed down. :( )
  4. Geri O

Geri O

I don't know that I'll buy one, but when one hits the local music store, I'm supposed to go in and give it a workout. The local GC might already have one, but it's too much of a madhouse to spend any quality time with it in there (nothing against GC, I get strings there because no one else stocks the Power Slinkys that I use and it's a cool place otherwise).
  5. scubaduba

Can't believe more people haven't tried these yet.
  6. Jeff Scott

Maybe "more people haven't tried these yet" because the stores aren't stocking them? :meh:
  7. scubaduba

Plenty of online stores are stocking them. And this is talkbass. People buy online.
  8. southpaw723

southpaw723

They are very similar to a music man and there is nothing special about the tone IMO.
  9. scubaduba

So which model did you play to come to that conclusion?
  10. southpaw723

southpaw723

There are a lot of review videos on YouTube. I never played one myself but I would love to try one, they look pretty cool. I just wasn't impressed with the tone from those videos.
  11. spanndrew

spanndrew

My GC just got some in. They don't have the HH but they had the MIM's and the Modern Players. Both were fairly impressive to me.
  12. Jeff Scott

IIRC, those are not the same thing we are talking about, here; that bass is a passive instrument with a different design pickup.
  13. Jeff Scott

I would never judge a bass without actually having it in my hands to try, and especially, I do not judge sound from videos on YouTube! :eyebrow:
  14. RS

RS Supporting Member

I got to play one briefly at BassCentral. I personally didn't care for it. It didn't quite sound like a Musicman bass and not at all like a P or J. The preamp was slightly noisy, and I couldn't quickly dial in an EQ I liked. YMMV.
  15. scubaduba

Which model did you play? I'm interested in the American Dimension instruments with dual humbuckers. Not the import versions or single humbucker version.
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That's encouraging.
  17. RS

RS Supporting Member

US double hum version, ash body.
  18. RS

RS Supporting Member

I give credit to Fender for going a new direction. I like the aesthetics and it seemed to have nice fit and finish.
  19. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

I've played one, also own a Stingray HH five-string, and a Nash '63 P Bass.

My local shop set me up with a "test drive" over the weekend where I played the Dimension 4-stringer HH with two different big bands... I put one on immediate order. It'll replacement my 60th Anniversary P-Bass.

The sound... just as you'd expect... massive lows (much more than my Anniversary model)... confortable (but somewhat slimmer neck than my p-basses), great looks, and intuitive feel.

As the MM & the new Dimension are so similiar in attitude my plan is to outfit the Dimension with flat-wounds and have mine delivered with a rosewood fretboard (the "loaner" had a maple fretboard) to bring the Dimension a little back towards a tradtional P-bass sound (like my '63) but kind of like a P-Bass On Steroids !

My MM will remain with round wounds, (a five stringer to boot), and will be used for "edgier" applications (one of the bands I play with is more along the Buddy Rich/Ferguson kind of band... the kind of music that a little extra edge will come in handy).

I'm knocked over by the bass... don't want one ?... that's okay too... but don't knock it 'til you've tried it !

(BTW, I use mine through a MarkBass P121 combo with an extension cabinet)... the butter round lows with the edge percussive "treble" attack (a little like the Seinfield theme) is amazing !

Can't wait for mine to be delivered ! :hyper:
  20. scubaduba

Wow! Raving review.