Lets say you want to buy something...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Okay, lets say you want to buy something, in this case (just as an example) it will be a new computer.

Now my question is : if you see 2 or 3 computers that might fit your budget plus of course the demands you want for it, are you going for the computer with the reviews, or the computer without the reviews?

And tell me, why is this?

EDIT : My apology!

For the reviews, good reviews :)

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Are they good or bad reviews, and did they come from a reputable source?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    With reviews. The reason being is I'd like to know what other, qualified, people have found using this item.

-Mike

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

if good reviews, then the computer with. Is this a trick question?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

Reviews but only if there's a sufficient number of them and with sufficient diversity. I also ignore positive reviews on tech that are posted within few weeks of purchasing - the reviewers are a bit biased having bought something that's better than what they had before.

I might consider getting something with no user reviews if there's a no-questions-asked return policy.

The reason? It increases the odds of getting a satisfactory product.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Depends on the review....not just a good or bad review, but the legitimatecy of the review.

People still in the honeymoon phase with a product can give it a review that reads better than it really is. They haven't spent enough time with this product to get to know it, discover its quirks, shortcomings, etc. Maybe even givn it a full runthrough in its intended use yet. Example, sombody buys a new amp or speaker, unpacks it, it looks and smells new, they play it a little while at home, like it and give it a glowing review. They haven't even played a gig with this thing yet, let alone several in varying environments, yet that glowing review is out there for everybody to see.

People who spend a lot of money on a product will want to subconsciously, psychologically justify that expenditure, so they may rate a product better than it really is, and they might not even realize they're doing it.

Same holds true on the other end.....

Somebody has a bad experience with getting the product....delivery guywas late, somebody at the store told them it was in stock and it wasn't causing a delay. Or they read something totally unrelated to the product somewhere, like maybe a political party the company owner eonated to that runs counter to their beliefs. Anything like that could prompt a negative review of a product when non of them have anything to do with the product itself.

Self-induced over-expectation. People can hype themselves up about a product before actually getting it that their expectations are so high, no product could possibly live up to it, so they're let down and write a negative review when the product may actually work as described and be actually a good value.

Basically, it's like statistics. You need a whole bunch of reviews, so you can throw out all the extremes and still have enough left to get some idea if the product is any good or not.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Also people are a lot more likely to get vocal when they have something to complain about than they are when they have something to praise.

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I always go with brand X.

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

With the built in obsolescence of today's computers, I find the features I want and a brand i sort of trust at the lowest price. It is going to die in three years no matter what Zoe399 thought of it.

11. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

I buy used Lenovo laptops off eBay, specifically x301 or t420's. Bulletproof for everything I do (not a gamer). And cheap to boot!

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    There is merit to this, and not just computers. Many, many consumer products nowdays are "designed to fail". That little phrase has a habit of upsetting engineers that work on these things....and rightly so. If they had their way, the products would be bulletproof and last 1000 yeats......and also cost so much you couldn't sell any of them.

This is tempered my marketing dweebs and accountants, who's only goals are to move units, minimize cost and maximize profit.

In the old days, there was a balance between these philosophies that resulted in high quality stuff, that while it cost a bit to aquire, could be expected to last a very long time, be maintained, and in some cases even pass on to your children.

Nowdays, that's no longer the case with common consumer items. It's all "sell, sell, sell", and bring repeat business.

"Repeat business" nowdays is no longer defined as making a great product so people have a good experience with it and will bring their dollars to you again in the future. Rather, it's make this crap as cheapas you can to underprice the competition, make it last just long enough to get out of warranty, and make damn sure they're going to have to come back and buy another one shortly after that.

There's people now who design systems to make product life vs. wardanty responsibility come so close to each other as to be bizzare. In the old days, you'd be run out of town for pulling stuff like that.