1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Let's see the best homemade pedalboard! Post em'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. beyondhairy

beyondhairy

hey folks.... this is to inspire others to build their own boards.... im working on mine right now also... so lets see yours
  2. rustynuts

rustynuts

Well, since you asked.....

Here's mine right now, out in the workshop. I wanted a 2 foot by 15-16" wide pedal board made from red oak with a tier covering the power block. Couldn't find a 16 inch wide board so I'm gluing a 12" and a 3" together for the base.

It'll look a lot more like a pedal board in a couple of days.

I hope.

:)

[​IMG]
  3. steve66

steve66

[​IMG]

I dont use any of it anymore since I bought the Bass V-amp and Midi Controller
  4. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Here's a board a I made last year. I'm not using it anymore as it was a little too big! I've since downsized to a different setup focused on preserving signal fidelity.

I used 7/16 plywood & covered it with carpet. Most of the hardware was bought on eBay. All in all a cheap & easy project.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you. Supporting Member

I made one a couple of years ago-ish.

Terrible Camera Phone Content

It took an afternoon with my guitarist, and more money than I thought I'd have to spend. I forget what wood I used. We built a box in which the pedals were nestled on two hinged planks. Underneath was a little storage space for power supplies, extra cables, etc. I used a layer of rubber lined with little grooves (to keep them from slipping), and I used a layer of foam rubber with cut-outs fitting each pedal so I wouldn't have to mar a pedal with adhesive :sarcastic:(velcro, dual lock, etc.). The fundamental flaw in this sort of design (which we see very often here in Effects) is that it immediately becomes useless if you change your set up. Sell a pedal? New Board. New pedal? New board. Move a pedal? New board. Take a gnarly fall that splits your deck in two? New board.

Plus it was heavy as hell.

This is the board with cover:
    [​IMG]

And here was my setup:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Signal: GT-6B>A/B switch>LBM>Metal Zone>Ph-3>BF-2>DD-20>Line 6 (either the Verbzilla or Echo Park... I had a couple of modules...which reminds me that I should probably sell the Liqua Flange)>SAPBDDI>FV-500L

Yes, a goofy signal chain.

After I realized that it sucked, I dreamed about a Pedaltrain Pro. Then I woke up to being broke, and I opted for a Rondo instead. It was just a "temporary" solution, right? Wrong. Rondo board sucks too, and it broke very quickly. I was stuck with that piece of crap (I was still broke) until recently when someone was selling a board in the classifieds for less than the Rondo cost. It's one of those flat boards with no case or cover, but it has handles on the sides. It's not ideal for gigging or playing at all outside of home, but anything is better than Rondo. It was cheap and accessible especially considering my budget. So I couldn't really pay for groceries for a little while, and I ate cereal-and-gatorade for a couple of weeks. It was worth it.

Plus, while I was looking up those pictures I found these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I'm pretty photogenic.

Oooh! I found this one too!
    [​IMG]

Left to right: Whore, Me, Douche Bag, Flake, and weak-minded, attention seeking super hero from the nineties. He's our hero.

Random:
    I also found some pictures of my pets, but I doubt you'd want to see them. It just reminded me that our smallest pug cut my thigh until it was bleeding last week. Of all of the dogs that we have (pitbull, German shepherd/Husky mix/Yellow Lab/(possibly)great dane mutt, and a few others) the one that tears me up is the smallest, sissiest, alien-fetus-looking lapdog.

Yeah, so I'm rambling. I just keep typing until I can post this.
  6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Definate candidate for post of the year above. I can't even remember what this thread was about.
  7. fuNKmaster83

fuNKmaster83

7up for me too... hehehehehehehe
  8. rustynuts

rustynuts

Ain't that the truth?
  9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

This is my old board [just the board, not the pedals], that I'm using for my pedals that I deam cool but just doin't fit in live.
    [​IMG]
  10. beyondhairy

beyondhairy

how can you deam the br-2 and the tr-2 not cool for live? lol those are AWESOME in a live setting...

and i just finish the cutting phase of my board...

now i need to work on glueing and nailing and screwing...

Attached Files:

11. rustynuts

rustynuts

Gotta love the tiers.....

What are the dimensions on your board? And, if you don't mind my asking, how much do you have into it so far? I just got back from Lowes (again) and this board is getting pretty expensive.
  12. coolrunner989

coolrunner989 Supporting Member

beyondhairy - that is a HUGE board....good luck schleping it around :)
  13. beyondhairy

beyondhairy

yea, i love the layer thing.. i cant stress how much i hate only having a flat surface... doing the tip toe thing to turn a pedal on isnt my thing lol

the wood that was 2' x 4' cost me $14 total... did most of the cutting myself... had home depot cut out the large piece...

and so far thats all iv spent... i got some velcro on ebay that i need to pay for. its 4" wide and 10 feet long... soft side, and it comes with 1" wide and 3" long hook side and that shipped cost me $24...

headed out in a few minutes to pick up some gorilla glue and thats about $5~?

i'll eventually need to buy another slab of wood to make a lid, and i need to buy some casters, latches, and handle...

and its 17" x 35"

lol casters ;) :)
  14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

I have a Tonefactor Sugarbaby on the live board which does the vintage trem thang better than the Tr-2, and that is not a br-2 but a BL-2 limiter, it stops the spikes from the Q-tron and FX25 but is noisy and distorts.
  15. rustynuts

rustynuts

Same here....I can't stand tap dancing.

The only way I could get the oak boards was pre-cut in certain sizes, unless I wanted to by an 8 foot by 12 inch board...Didn't want to do that because I'd never use the rest of it. So far I have about $22.00 in the wood, including the oak riser blocks for the outlets. It'll have five double outlets built into the base with a ten foot 14 gauge cord.

I still need the velcro, had the glue. Total so far is right around fifty bucks though. I'm probably going to have a padded case made for it though, I don't have time to bother with that.

It looks a lot bigger! It's only going to be 9" longer than mine. Looks good though, can't wait to see it complete. Are you going to be staining it or covering it?
  16. beyondhairy

beyondhairy

your board will probably be better then mine over all lol, im trying to make it as simple and cost efficiant as possible. so im not going overboard on making a suped up board until i have a better idea of what i will be using live in my new band.

just got back from sears and they only had one of the large bottles of gorilla glue so it was a few bucks more... $8 and change i think....

dont think im going to stain it, i will either leave it as is or paint it black, i do have this wood finishing stuff though that blocks out water, and i think that stains the wood a bit, so this isnt decided yet, but do u know if the wood finish or the spray paint goes on first? the velcro will be covering all of the upper surfaces though,

and it was actually about 5ish inches narrower, but i got the silver dragon unexpectedly, so i had to make room :)
  17. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

i built this pedal board
    nothing too fancy neither the look nor the pedals
    and yeah thats zoom is a guitar multi fx i used it for crazy sounds (envelop filters and wah and phasor and flanger and etc) but actually it stays on bypass or unplugged most of the time ( a friend left it at my place so am using it for now)
    BUT NOW ITS GONE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Syciprider has an excellent home made board, he might post it here.
  19. kmk42019

kmk42019

Ran out of velcor at the top...Im thinking about spray painting it
    [​IMG]
  20. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Here is my board, built with my guitarist in a long afternoon. Total money spent - 65 bucks
    Its not as heavy as it looks, although I never built a proper cover for it. Most of the pedals have changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]