1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Let's See Your Low-Budget Club-Killer!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Post 'em, you know you want to! Here's mine:

[​IMG]

*SWR SM-400s, acquired through a trade for a small, rather nice bass combo;
    *Furman Power Conditioner, for 'spike' protection in dumpy bars with 60 year-old wiring (I like my amp);
    *Hartke VX-215, sans-tweeter (bypassed and spray-painted 'invisible');
    *'Lucky', my Squire Parts-Bass w/ Indonesian 'A'-neck, Mahogany body and old Duncan p'up (I think);
    *Bullet coil-cable, because it's fun and doesn't get stepped on.

What's in your back seat?? :bassist:

I wonder if this is already a thread... :p
  2. St Drogo

St Drogo

Well now. That's a different question altogether :)
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Profile Silhouette P bass copy (from Australia I think). I drove 3 hours into VA to buy it for $40 just because I had never heard of one before. It plays and sounds great (although it looks like it's been drug behind a truck).
    Fender PA 100 head (old tube PA head with 4 channels) not worth anything but sounds like BUTTAH.
    Avatar 1-12 cab. That thing it tuned boomy as crap but for a good muddy blues line it works fine.
    Old carpeted Carvin 2-10 cab for extra volume if I need it (I know mixing drivers and all but it's just a little open mic gig. The 2-10 actually cleans up the crappy tuning of the Avatar pretty well.)

I take this rig on nights when I am the house bass player for an open mic blues night. I will even let a harp guy plug into one of the other channels and we'll both be going through the rig at the same time. The whole ball of wax probably has a street value of a few hundred bucks. Budget wise it's a far cry from my Fender Roscoe Beck Sig V and Mesa Walkabout stack covered in wine lizard tolex, but it's still fun to play that setup. I love to see the looks on other bass players' faces when they see that getup.... especially the ones who know what other gear I own.
  4. Count Bassie

That's the spirit! Bet the Fender head sounds pretty great alright. Nice.
  5. bassteban

bassteban

I may use this tonight for a DB/maybe doubling(if my chops fail)gig: 70-something Crate 1B+Ibanez(Maxon)UE-405- for the parametric EQ, to tame the DB's wolf tone. Pics later. 30 SS WATTS :hyper:
  6. Count Bassie

I remember seeing small stacks of those in music stores back in the 80s! Yeah you have to throw a pic here man... :cool:
  7. jungleheat

jungleheat

I have a full SWR/Trace stack that I paid a total of about 700 bucks (first year or so Bass 350, Trace "wedge" 2x10, and old 1518, both about 20+ years old from the "racing stripe" era). Sounds killer.

That's not even the craziest part, I later bought a modern Trace head for about $225 (including shipping), that is a beast, because the combo it was part of was damaged in shipping. I took a chance on it and everything worked out perfectly, EXCEPT it has since had an "accident" and needs some repair. So it won't be so budget any more.

I also have an old Carvin 1x15 cab that came with an old Peavey 1502 Black Widow. It sounded great as is, but then I got what I considered a great deal on a truly NOS EV EVM 15B Pro Series for about $150. Then later I also got a JBL M151 (the driver that was used in the Ampeg Gene Simmons "Punisher" cabs) for maybe $100. So after I eventually sell the Peavey, at any given time, that cab will have way less than $200 in it, and it sounds awesome.
  8. Count Bassie

:eyebrow: :p So what happened?

Wait- gotta let that all 'settle in' here...! :smug:

So, pix!