1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lets talk about Brian Jones

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When I was a teen I worshiped Brian Jones. So much so that it almost killed me (did my best to emulate him after reading Up and Down With the Stones).

Was just doing a little research to post some clips in another thread and learned something I never knew. In Ruby Tuesday he's playing a recorder, not a flute.

In my early days of musicianship a friend of mine had me listen to Ruby Tuesday and study (with my ears) the flute part. He said that's what playing with emotion was all about. I still agree.

Technically, Brian Jones wasn't much to talk about, but I think as far as writing and expressing himself on an instrument he was brilliant. And underated. Anyhow, for those who never listened closely, do yourself a favor and listen closely to what he did in this played out song:

Was going to write and post more, but got caught up in something else. Ya'll can do the rest of the talking and posting. :)
  2. nysbob

nysbob

Also a Jones fan. By all accounts, he was pretty much useless the last couple records, but he was a very talented cat in his prime.

To me, his high water mark is the mellotron on We Love You. He played it like a rhythm intrument!.. then morphed into some killer Moroccan modal stuff. Never heard a mellotron used that way since.