Let's talk about cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gremson, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Gremson

Gremson

What's your favorite? What do you look for in a good cabinet?

I'm looking for a 1X15 cab. And I'm thinking that a new Avatar cab might be my best bet. Seems the price/weight/watt handling is the best bet for a new cab.
    Though I might just go out and find an old used Peavey Cab.
  2. Low Sound Love

Low Sound Love

I've settled on Mesa, currently using one ph2x12 and planning to get a second one if necessary.. It's pricey stuff, but you get a lot in retun, both in sound and in build quality.
  3. Dragan

Dragan

has to be loud,light and with as much details and warmth. sounds tough, but I think EBS nailed them all with NEO line. I got 210 and I am very happy with it.
  4. backup

backup

i look for character and nice mids. i dont like sub woofer cabinets with tweeters and stuff. very happy with pf150.
  5. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    I like the simplicity and sound of a Hartke 410xl.

But I want something smaller and lighter that still retains the low end, and still has enough upper mids and *some* highs without resorting to crossovers and tweeters.

I don't think such a thing exists.
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I don't know about the weight, but a Bag End S15-d has great mids and some nice top end for a single 15 w/ no HF driver. I've also played through some old EV 15" cabs that were very "full range", again, not featherweight cabs.
  7. jason1980's

jason1980's

Perfect with my Ampeg SVT-810E. I wouldn't want any other cabinet.
  8. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I like something not-too-big, but good-sounding (of course), and light.

I’m presently using a GK 212MBE, one advantage of which, it wasn’t very expensive. I gigged with an extremely loud guitard and pushed it too hard for too long and, a crossbrace in the cab came loose (all I knew is that it rattled horribly), so I stuck it in a back room for a couple years, then finally fixed it and added more internal bracing, and kinda rediscovered it again.

No more stooopid-loud situations and I think I’ll be fine.

:)
  9. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

I used a Fender Showman 2x15 (the early smaller one, loaded w/ EVM15Ls) for quite a while after lugging an SVT 810 around the country... I'm just about to return to that size cab, but build it myself (ala JohnK_10's "Starliner"), and load 3015s in it. It's light, speaks with authority, and gives me an "old school" sound I like (2nd harmonic is low enough).

John claims is is under 50 lbs, and is louder than his 810, and still fits in his small trunk!! Can't beat that!
  10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I'm a convert to the new "super" cabs (LDS, fEarful, Barefaced, Baer, Audiokinesis, etc) with high excursion woofers, crossovers and 6" midrange drivers +/- tweeters (I don't have a tweet). These boxes are pricey but lighter, louder, lower and clearer than any traditional, off-the-shelf cabs, by a wide margin IME.
  11. Russell L

Russell L

Doing ok with two Markbass Traveler 151P cabs for now, but wanting a Barefaced Compact and Midget. Weight is very important to me.
  12. iualum

iualum

Winner winner, chicken dinner. ;)
  13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Cabs like any other part of your rig comes down to personal preference. Go out and play as many cabs as you can. Get some perspective on what sounds good to you.

Personally the cabs I love the most are not going to be found at any big name store. That doesnt mean I couldnt find something there that was usable to my ear.
  14. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

build one!

[​IMG]

i love my setup. the flight case has wheels.. i pick it up put it face down on the wheeled cover lock it up and move on.

i can carry it myself easy up and down stairs. has an ev 15L with the 400w cone. its super well rounded. has tons of boom and perfect clarity without having a horn.

built it theile style so its really compact but sounds like a beast.

if you want something premade that is compact and money isnt an issue try one of the orange iso cabs.. they pack lots of sound into small cabinets.
  15. eriky4003

eriky4003

To the OP,
    If you're thinking Avatar, you may want to go with the TB153. It has the 15" you're looking for but is a full-range cab with another 6" spkr & a horn. This cab has been called a nEARful as it has the same speakers as the fEARful 15/6/1. Check it out.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Anything with 10's in them!
  17. iualum

iualum

For a new 15, this looks like a good bet, especially with the current free shipping. I'd do the Celestion, unless you wanted to install a mid-range & crossover in the cab with the 3015LF.
  18. makohund

makohund

There's a few versions of that cab, one of them has the same woofer, the rest is different. (Mid, tweet, xover, dimensions, etc.). But yeah, similar idea... multiway with 15 crossed over to a six.

The 8 ohm "neo" with the 3015LF is the one with the same woofer.
  19. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

I'm a Mesa guy since I picked up my PH412. I've since picked up a PH610 also and love both cabs. They're really reasonable on the used market and sound killer, are built like tanks, and can take a lot of power. I'd love to check out a pair of PH112's one day if I come across some locally.
  20. klejst

klejst

+1 to Mesa. It is pricey as others have mentioned however you get what you pay for and it is a solid product. Plus it retains it's value well too if obviously taken care of. I am loving my Powerhouse 215EV cab.