1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Let's talk Headstocks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

I've seen in a couple of threads people exressing their likes and dislikes in regards to certain headstock designs. I was just wondering what everybody's favourite is? Is it due to the shape, the logo or the combination of both? Also, what sorta tuner configuaration does everyone prefer? Has an ungly headstock ever stopped you buying an otherwise great bass?
  2. Groover

Groover

At this point, I like Fender and the the EB Stingray headstocks. But if I had to pick my favorite, it would be the Stingray's. It's a little smaller than the Fender, and I like the G tuning key on the other side.

I also like matching or black headstocks better than plain wood, but none of the mentioned preferences would prevent me from buying a good bass, especially if it's a good deal.

I stay away from pointy headstocks though. I have one (my first bass), and I just can't stand it... makes me feel like I'm a head banger while playing a blues riff... just doesn't work.
  3. Razor

Razor

Like Groover, I prefer the matching headstocks. It just looks better to my eyes.

My favorite headstock designs are, The Rickenbacker and my all time favorite....the Buzzard designs. I used to hate pointy headstocks (Carvin, Jackson) and I still pretty much do, but the Buzzard is just classy....it's a classy, pointed headstock! :p

The headstock shape on an instrument, has never kept me from liking/playing an instrument...I've played some pretty ugly instruments, and like the Carvin's and Jackson's mentioned above...some of those visually didn't appeal to me but they were wonderful players.
  4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

favorite : fender, ibanez, sadowsky, rickenbacker, yamaha

not so favorite : bc rich, warwick, G&L, jackson/charvel, carvin
  5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    [​IMG]
    My Hamer B12S.
  6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    the only headstocks that i've really seen that made me say "man that headstock is ugly".....are Jackson and the old SX style headstocks..
  7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

I think a headstock should be funky. Something I will definetly want if I ever order a custom bass.

Attached Files:

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

I like Roscoe, Smith, G&L, MTD, Pulcinella, Sadowsky, Alembic, and Zon. My preference is for matching headstocks too. I don't like really big ones or really small ones. Funny when I was younger none of these things mattered.
  9. seansbrew

Look at the headstock on this, fuuuuuuunky. :)

Attached Files:

10. .matthew e wengerd.

.matthew e wengerd. inarticulate bassist

11. seansbrew

Now that's funky, I love it. :D
  12. angrydad

angrydad

Favorite : Mid 90's Fender Jazz Plus
    Least Favorite : The new SX headstock...looks like a parrott.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Those always reminded me of one of the monsters in the Mario Games, LOL!!

I think they were called Blaargs or something.

Would love to have an Eshenbaugh though!!
  14. .matthew e wengerd.

.matthew e wengerd. inarticulate bassist

I used to hate it (eh, I guess they just didn't thrill me). Now that I'm getting one, I happen to think they're one of the most beautiful and intersting designs in headstockdom.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

I agree.. I've been following your thread about it..
  16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

I prefer my headstock to be symmetrical, or close to it. My favorite would probably be the Carl Thompson. My Ibanez has a very small headstock for a 6 string, which is better for balance.

I don't really like the normal Fender headstock, byt the Tele style is cool IMO.

Least favorite has to be any type of reversed, 4 to a side headstock. Or the big old school Fender boat oar.
  17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

Right now I can't think of a favorite headstock for a 5 or 6-string bass, but for a 4-string, no other like this one to me:

[​IMG]

Old Ibanez Roadstar basses had a similar one. A friend has one and I love it just for the headstock. Again, for 4-strings only.
  18. Juneau

Juneau

I like this one, go figure lol

[​IMG]
  19. pocket sand

pocket sand Gold Supporting Member

I'm a fan of the traditional 4-to-a-side headstock. As far as shape goes I like Fender, Lakland, Musicman, and the old SX. When it comes to 2-to-a-side, I really dig how Warwick aligns their tuning keys. It gives it a distinct look.
  20. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

i most liked the big headstocks,i like Fenders,Sadowsky and one of my favs ever is Tobias headstocks,and MTD are very nice too,i like the Warwicks too.