Letting a truss rod sit.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Precision101, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Precision101

Precision101

So a couple months ago I did a complete setup when I changed my strings and everything sounded and felt great until the weather started to get warmer (I think anyway) and my my truss rod and action was getting a little wacky. I felt I needed less relief and the action lower and I couldn't not get this without buzzing or feeI like maxing the truss out. I do like my neck with some relief but not a whole lot and my action super low. Like I said everything was fine and felt great before with no buzzing. Should I let the truss rod sit with some relief in the neck overnight and loosen the strings a bit? They aren't high tension strings at all they are a 30-90 gauge. Any suggestions? I have a fender p bass.

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

If it's buzzing 1 to 12, you need a little more relief or raise the action. If on the higher frets you need less relief.

You should probably add a bit of relief now by what you are describing. It likely won't take much: 1/8th turn +- . It is normal to need seasonal setups.

One thing I know, agonizing over fractions of mm is not productive (it's fun though) set it up so it doesn't buzz and play it, you'll really not feel the fractions of mm's when you just go ahead and play it.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Just the 4th fret was buzzing from relief. I fixed that and the action I had before felt lower than what I had. The 17th fret buzzes if the action is not high enough so I raised it a bit. Every fret is fine other than that. The height feels really high when I put some relief in the neck when I try to fix the 4th fret buzz and addition to that raising the action from the 17 fret buzz. It won't go away unless it's a ton of relief. I know this is a weather deal. The neck shifts every 3 months. I don't know what's worse... High action or dealing with fret buzz....

4. Immigrant

Immigrant

If it was my bass, I'd definitely try going up to higher gauge string, like .100-.045.

I sometimes wonder if seasonal changes can also be attributed to string temperature. Yes, you read right. Cold metal=contract, warmer=expand. Contracting metal strings creating more tension, adds more relief due to the pull.

I had a couple of rubber-necked Ibanezes and I noticed that steel strings really through the setup out of whack more than nickels did. It also happened on a 4003 I had. I'd watch the relief change nearly overnight (as well as tuning going UP 1/2 step) when my house was colder than daytime.

But I dunno. I'm kinda nutty.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Precision101

Precision101

I'm using funkmasters. They feel really looser than before. I'm changing my strrings soon maybe another 2 weeks. Maybe a neck reset should do? My neck hasn't really been this out of wack

7. Immigrant

Immigrant

The reason why I'd try heavier strings is because the tension may be higher, meaning less "floppiness" and the ability to lower your action. I know you're a low action fan, that's why I suggested it.

I personally like a little flop. Bendy bendy.

8. Precision101

Precision101

Right now it's sitting in my room, strings loosened with a lot of relief in the neck. The truss felt almost maxed out before because I wanted less relief but normally the neck is fine when it has little to no relief. Now I need more of it than usual for it to not buzz. It's really uncomfortable.

9. Immigrant

Immigrant

You will be waiting a long time if you're waiting for relief to appear while the strings and TR are loose. The TR is there to counter the tension the strings create, not to create relief without string tension.

Time for golf. Good luck!

10. Precision101

Precision101

I use roto flats on one of my p basses.... Now those make your neck seem like a bow and arrow with the tension!

11. Precision101

Precision101

Hey guys so I got my bass feeling comfortable but there's a but of fret buzz at the 4 th fret still it's not noticeable with fingers but is with a pick and also some spots on the bass where I tap the fret and I can hear a type of clank/ buzz. Not the note itself but when I press the string into the fret. I don't know what to do about it. Will it eventually go away if I just leave it alone and play? It's not that noticeable really.