Lexicon alpha interface!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by simenandreas, Jan 7, 2013.

1. simenandreas

simenandreas

I came over this video on youtube, and I was amazed of the sound! So crispi on clean for a really cheap lexicon alpha soundcard! The price of this thing is around 60 dollars I believe. Have anyone experienced this interface? It is that good as it sounds here?

2. oniman7

oniman7

I am looking for a cheap interface. Thank you for this. I really hope it is 60 dollars!
  3. lwknives

lwknives

Thats the one I use, I havent had any problems with it. Ive never used anything else to compare it to though.
  4. lwknives

lwknives

Ill post a link to some of my recordings when I get off work.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

The recordings are similar quality to interfaces I have worth $$$$&&
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I don't hear anything special about the recording that you can't get with most low-end USB interfaces - especially when stripped down to the low audio quality of a YouTube vid.

The Alpha was my first interface when I got into recording. My biggest issue was the USB1.0 connection and its inability to handle even moderate-sized multi-track recording. If you're just recording yourself and playing back one or two tracks, it will do the job.
  8. lwknives

lwknives

9. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I've used one before, and it is really not good. There are no good drivers for more recent versions of windows and the unit itself is a bottleneck. We were never able to get latency low enough to allow real time monitoring (normally around 36ms on a quad core 8gb ram machine) on a system that had no trouble with ultra low (3-4ms) latencies on other interfaces.

Do yourself a favor and save up another $90 for something FAR superior like the EIE...
  10. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I've had one at home for a while now. I use it for practicing along with iTunes and overdubbing lines in Garage Band. Love it.
  11. uhdinator

uhdinator

It's 6+ year old technology.

Save a little and get any $150 interface that would be better with higher quality preamps and phantom power needed for condenser mic's
  12. 1kinal

1kinal

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    This is also the unit the I use but there's nothing really special in it. It works for me and records my bass tracks ok but I never did big multi-tracks with it. Like someone said, it's old and probably anything on the market now is better (preamps, latency, connection type).

I use it on a windows 7 pc but it was not made with this os in mind.

If you want to hear some videos I did with it, see my website (or youtube: martin letendre).
  13. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

It really is $60, but I'm not hearing "crisp & clean" as you described it. I'm hearing "sterile & harsh"...
  14. oniman7

oniman7

For what it's worth,

for an extra $20 I got a Steinberg CI1 for $80 with the Musician's Friend Sale. Very happy with it. Sound clip with bass direct in, tiny amount of compression