1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lexicon Alpha...?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CauliColin, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CauliColin

CauliColin

I have used the search function, whilst there are threads, none answer the questions I would like to ask.
    I am looking at buying a Lexicon Alpha USB Interface (http://www.gak.co.uk/en/lexicon-alpha-usb-audio-interface/3914), but I am wanting to know a few things...
    Can I plug this straight into my laptop's USB port?
    Can I just plug the bass straight into the interface, then into the laptop and record onto Audacity?
    Would it help if I put up my laptop's specs?

Or if that wouldn't work, could you list any alternatives to the Alpha? (you don't have to)
    Thanks for your help, if you give it!

(sorry, I am not good at posting threads)
  2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Yes I do it all the time --- consider the omega for only a few bucks more

I use the lexicon far more than my focus rite, m audio, Alesis or motu (simplicity and speed)
  3. CauliColin

CauliColin

Sorry, the omega is over double the price of the Alpha. That's a no go. Thanks for the comment though!
    I've heard that the drivers are a nightmare to install though :confused: How hard did you find it?
  4. Crater

Crater

I had problems gettng my Lexicon Omega to work under Windows Vista. In fact, it never DID work under Vista, but it works fine with Windows XP or Windows7.

Yes, you can plug it in to your laptop's USB port, but I don't think the Alpha is USB powered so you'll need its powersupply too. If the Alpha has an "instrument" (high impedance, unbalanced) that's the one to use with your bass. If all it has is a "line" input that's not ideal but will probably work OK.
  5. CauliColin

CauliColin

It looks like it has an 'instrument' input with a 6.3mm plug.
    I am currently plugging in a cable from the headphone jack of my practice amp into the laptop's line in port, so as long as it is better than that, I am happy.
  6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I've used one of these into Audacity and Garage Band with no issues on a Mac: Bass>LA>CPU.

It's great because you can control the relative mix of track playback from iTunes/Audacity/whatever.
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

The Lexicon Alpha was my first recording interface, but didn't stay around for long. It will work for simple recording, but it isn't a spectacular piece of gear. These days, I'd recommend something that has a USB 2.0 connection. The Alpha is USB 1.0, and quickly starts bumping into latency issues when working with a multi-track recording. The Alpha is 5+ year old technology.
  8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Not used--- very close in price

I used asio4all --- no issues

Can send clips/samples if you want to hear one
  9. dave_p

dave_p

the alpha will do exactly what you ask
    for 70 bux its a decent little unit.
  10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'll say it again and again...

At this point in time, it's most prudent to have your Windows recording machine running XP...
  11. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

If I may suggest, for a $99 interface, you'd be better off with an Alesis iO2. The Alpha has a really crude DI & preamp in it.