Lexicon Jamman/Compressor/SWR setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fonqueman, Apr 7, 2003.

1. fonqueman

fonqueman

I currently have an SWR 750x amp, dbx 160A compressor and I'm in the process of getting a Lexicon Jamman. I'm looking for the best way to setup this rig. I'm currently running the dbx via me effects loop (post pre-amp), so it EQs my entire signal, EG and all. I'm not sure if I should just toss the Lexicon in the mix or find an alternate routing plan. Any recommendations? Thank you all!
  2. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Having worked extensively with a a JamMan, I can tell you that it does respond best when patched into a parallel aux send/ret (ir even better returned to it's own channel on a mixer!)
    For some reason the inputs on it are, shall I say "sensitive" and it is very easy to overdrive the inputs which is not a pretty sound at all!
    Running the JamMan in series from the dbx MAY do this......

Currently, I run my JamMan in the aux loop of a Raven Labs MDB1 mixer/DI/Preamp, and the results are great. I run that signal to a Raven Labs PHA1, which is set flat and a TC Mo One is inserted into it's aux loop...that is sent on to a power amp.

I have found, that when using loops, it is best to look at your amplification more as a PA set up. All of your coloration should come before the looper, the fx, if any, can also go before, but I prefer to "treat" the loops with fx. You should have ample power, headroom and a fairly transparent sound.

Bob Sellon, the man who designed the JamMan, recently did a mod/upgrade to mine which now puts it in stereo, allows for multiple parallel loops and some other neat tricks, so I have started running it from an aux send of a little Behringer 802 mixer, returning the JamMan's stereo out to their own mixer channels, and running the whole rig in stereo...which is awesome.

Suggestions? Without going out and buying a little mixer (tho I really recommend the Raven Labs MDB1...three channels so you can run different basses, each set up for it's own "personality...incredibly clear and transparent tone, and a great DI to boot!), have you tried running your bass straight into the dbx and putting the JamMan into the fx loop. Since SWR uses a parallel fx send/ret this would give the highest sound quality/lowest noise with your setup.

Just a question..how much "squeeze" do you apply with the dbx? Is it really neccessary? You might find that using more manual control of your dynamics can allow you one less thing in your sig chain. I say this only 'cos everytime you plug into some device it effects your tone...somehow altering the tone of your bass. Sometines this is a beneficial thing, but usually not. That being said, I believe the input on the dbx is a fairly low impedence, line level input, which will not compromise things as much as an instrument level input, but, since you have been placing it in the aux loop, I am assuming you have found the tone to be better when not run direct.

Max
  4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

.....and, that all being said, why a JamMan? There are other looping devices on the market which may be more appropriate (if not less expensive).

I would recommend you look into a Line 6 DL4, which is a floor pedal (Instrument level inputs so you can run your bass straight into it), much less $$ than a used JamMan, 24 sec sampling time (the JamMan is standard with only 8 sec, but there is a mod which can bump it up to 32 sec.) with better sound resolution that the JamMan, a great deal of creative versatility, and it has "models" of 16 classic analog and digital delays....which are tres cool to play around with.
    I would advise you get the optional expression pedal which will allow you to "morph" 'tween delay settings, or add dealy to your loopage..and of course get the AC adaptor..even tho it runs on batteries, they get eaten pretty damn quick.

That would certainly solve your dilemma...bass into DL4 to amp with your dbx in the aux snd.

Max
  5. Register to disable this ad