Lexicon of Love by ABC

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CarpeBasso, Feb 11, 2014.

1. CarpeBasso

CarpeBasso

I'm certainly not a fan of 80's British pop, but I read somewhere that the album 'Lexicon of Love' by ABC was generally regarded as a studio and sonic masterpiece. Never heard of them, so in the spirit of objectivity and learning something new I ordered a used CD from Amazon. Wow, it IS a tremendous work, and the bass grooves in most of the songs were superb! Well, I'm still not a fan of 80's British pop, but I'm a fan of that album. Wikipedia shows the bassists were Brad Lang and Mark Lickley. (not band members)

2. pica

pica

ABC were a great 80's band. Saw them in '84. I believe Alan Taylor was the bassist then. They had some great songs.

3. bassteban

bassteban

Love me some ABC, and there was some superb bass playing on a LOT of 80's crap

4. Twobass

Twobass

Great production ny Trevor Horn.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

I love that album, start to finish, and always have. It's lush, romantic, tragic, and embarrassing all at the same time.

Great bass playing throughout. Good on you for getting it. Most people don't remember it.

7. JimK

JimK

Yeah.

Now you (or me, especially) would think-
    OK "studio" band...probably suck live, right?

On www.concertvault.com (Wolfgang's Vault), there is a live ABC concert from 1982...it is very good both (playing-wise & sound-wise). I was more than surprised.
    http://www.concertvault.com/#abc/metro-december-17-1982.html
    I think the above site was free...I think they put the cabash on lurkers.

8. CarpeBasso

CarpeBasso

That album grew on me so quick, I listen to it often still. It is a studio masterpiece, no doubt. Did any of ABC's subsequent work equal this album?

9. DirkP

DirkP

I loved and love this album. When it was released, for me it was a kind of "punk" album. Martin Fry came from the same town as Clock DVA. For me the most subversive thing one could do in 1981 was to release such an album.
    The Bassplaying on this album influenced me a lot. Martin Fry said around this time, to be able to play bass shouldn't be a reason that someone should be part of a music video. It was still so anti-rock-mainstream.
    Later I recognized that some of the bass playing on this album wasn't so original (they never said so). Listen to "Poison Arrow" and then listen to "The Freak" by Chic...
    But that was my mistake. The bass is among all the other things really great on this album. I still consider it "Punk".
    But nonetheless the bands I really admired around this time were Joy Division, the Gang Of Four etc. I remember kind of argueing with a friend back then (who was a really gifted musician) about ABC. I told him: Not many people will remember ABC 20 years from now. Martin Fry might sing "The Look of Love" on some mainstream-TV oldie show....
    (He did, he did, he did...), but Joy Division 20 years from now will be what The Velvet Underground is for people like us now.
    But still a great album, and apart from that I was right, New Order didn't age well....

Dirk

10. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

It's not on 'Lexicon of Love', but.."Be Near Me" is one of my favorite songs.

11. JimK

JimK

As a Pop tune, yes, I like "Be Near Me". Again, stellar production & a nice arrangement.

There's another thread here @TB about "worthless band members"...at this time, I think ABC was carrying 2 of those.

12. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Trevor Horn is THE man when it comes to that type of production. I also mentioned this in a recent post on a somewhat different topic, but what he did with Yes on 90125 was sonically amazing.

13. pica

pica

There is an episode of the VH1 show Bands Reunited on YouTube featuring ABC. Check it out. Cool show

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I never liked them at all. There really isn't much from that era that I do like.

15. JimK

JimK

Saw it!
    Martin Fry & David Palmer (drums) + the bass/keys/guitar guys from Kajagoogoo.

How many tunes did these bands play on live on that short-lived TV programme? Seemed like a lotta work to pull off maybe 2 songs for that 1-off live performance...?

16. JimK

JimK

Personally, I had been on a Rock/Pop hiatus of sorts when that era began to take off...
    Eventually, I warmed up to The Police ("Walking On The Moon" & "Every Little Thing" were on the Radio).
    I liked Duran Duran's "Girls On Film" from the start...

A friend hipped to bands like-
    Missing Persons (when I realized it was Terry Bozzio, I was all in for them)
    The Producers...loved them (Beatles/The Police vibe)

17. pica

pica

That would be Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo on bass. The other two on keys and guitar were just studio musicians. I'm not sure how many songs they played but I think on episodes were they got the whole band together they played a whole show.

18. JimK

JimK

Yeah, I knew it was Beggs…IIRC, the guys playing keys & guitar were Beggs' mates from Kaj.
    They had a good experience with Bands Reunited & wanted Fry (a friend) to have the same.