1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Lexicon Omega- any good?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 24, 2014.

1. My 14-yr-old son wants to record basic band-type stuff(bass, gtrs, keys, drums, vox)w/his laptop- a Samsung w/Audacity. The local music store has the Omega USB interface for $150- I have very limited experience w/OLD-school multitracking, effectively no knowledge of computer-based recording and am NOT great at grasping this stuff; is this a good direction? I have access to decent mics etc, and I'd like to stay around $100-150. Possible? Thank you for any and all input. :)

2. I used it extensively in the past to do a friend's demo and it was not very good. From what I could tell, the drivers are poorly written which results in high latency, drop outs, and various lockups that made it a challenge to work and very frustrating at times.

For that price I'd recommend the http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/ which is one of the better USB interfaces available.

3. Excellent- thank you! Searching showed several FS, a potential red flag... anyone else?

4. I've used my Omega to record my band's demos. Steinberg's CuBase LE4 was included when I bought my unit. Here's my impressions:

Omega hardware: very good quality, versatile (number of channels/inputs, etc.)

Omega drivers: Flakey. Somtimes reset their configurations from session to session. I have not had any latency issues, though.

Steinberg CuBase 4: powerful "free" version of this software. I don't use it often enough so I often need to "re-climb" the learning curve for each recording project (but that's a personal issue as opposed to a product issue).

When I did my research (3+ years ago) the Omega was the only under $250 solution that offered true 4-in/4-out capability without requiring FireWire.

Hope that helps.

-CB

5. Sponsored by:

6. Grabbed the Scarlett 2i2 at GC today- topped 180+ w/the extended warranty. The boy is thrilled- Ima run up the street to my buds to borrow a good ish mic and stand. Thank you, TigerInATrance :)

7. I had an Omega years ago. I did not like it. The mic pres were horrible (although, what do you expect for the price?). You did well by purchasing the Focusrite.

8. seansv

seansv

Jun 19, 2011
    Philadelphia PA
    You dodged a bullet.

9. Breaking the Scarlett in- working on an original tune for a promo pack. Going well so far- appreciating the info