LH1000 / hydrive 410 problem.. or is it me?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Steel, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Steel

Steel

Hey guys. It's been quite a while. Gettin back into it after being asked to join a band (hard rock/metal) and so here I am.

Anyhow I got myself an LH1000 and a HyDrive 410 rig in the hopes that it would be nice and loud, tight, punchy and bright. It is all those things... except the loud. Not that it's quiet but everything I've seen aobut them is that the volume REALLY starts cranking after 5 or 6. For my rig, it seems that it just starts distorting after that point without getting really any louder. Right now during our practices, the guitardist is playing through a carvin 4x12 stack and still feels the need to mic up to the singers PA :spit:, as well as our drummer being really heavy handed. I have the eq knobs set at about 4-10-7 to lessen the mid scoop so I can get some cut through, but it seems like I'm not cutting through a whole lot of anything. This is with the cab horn on full and the bright switch off. They and I can't hear when i'm playing notes all up to the 7th fret on the higher strings. It's weird.

Granted, yeah I need to talk to the g-ist about using just his amp for practices but I'm a bit concerned about my rig seemingly running out of steam at ~5-6 on the volume knob. Am I nuts or do I need to get a second 410? :bassist:
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

The good news is - the HyDrive can take 1000W.
    The bad news is - it's an 8-Ohm cab.
    Bridged (you're driving it bridged, yes?) the LH1000 isn't putting out 1000W at 8 Ohms...
  3. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

If that's what your guitar player is doin, you need another 4-10.

Bridged at 8 ohms yields about 750w per Hartke. Two 8 ohm cabs should pull 1100w total, but louder :)
  4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/support/manuals/LHseries_OM_EN_v2.pdf

Are you using a speakon cable to connect your cabinet? To get the full, bridged output from the LH100, you'll need to use a speakon cable and to set the switch to bridged mode.

It's on page 12 of your manual.

The difference really isn't huge.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steel

Steel

Yeah i have a speakon running bridged
  7. Steel

Steel

I'm more worried about the distortion of it running more than 'half' volume. Aren't these amps supposed to stay clean pretty much up to 11? And if the cabs are rated for 1000W power handling, I can't imagine I'm driving it too hard, but it sure sounds like it.
  8. ArtechnikA

It shares the preamp section with the LH500.
    I have heard from those owners that you get a little 'warmth' around 1 o'clock on the Volume dial.

That said - what's your EQ look like? Fender tone stack - 'flat' is 2-10-2. If you're trying to push a ton of bass content, that could overload the cab and sound like distortion. You might also engage the limiter and see if that makes a difference. I haven't heard of anyone who actually uses 'Brite'...

Edit - re-read the original post. 4-10-7 isn't a ton of bass.

OK - new questions - what bass? Active or Passive input ?
  9. Steel

Steel

Im running the limiter, and my stack is at about 4-10-7 or so.

Ibby SRX500, Generally running in the active port but I have tried the passive to see how it sounds.
  10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Is that SRX active ? How do you have the bass's EQ set. If your pushing bass and treble on the bass you scooping mids too. I run a Kilo and a Hydrive 810. Running 1 power amp into the Hydrive Im only pushing about 350 watts. Never have a problem with volume. Depending on what bass I use my tone can be real clean or real dirty without touch the amp. My older Concert basses have EMGs and a passive tone, They are pretty clean. My CMG has 35DCs and a BQS, depending were I set the basses eq it goes from real gritty to a ton of over drive.
  11. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I'm betting your not using the correct speakon cable.

You need a mono bridged cable, not an ordinary speakon.

Go here
    http://youtu.be/CsqYGqdNLWw
  12. ArtechnikA

Sorry, that is not true.
    The LH1000 uses a plain ol' +1/-1 for bridging.

IIRC some power amps use a different wiring, but per the manual (and my experience) 2-pole +1/-1 does the deed for the LH1000.
  13. Steel

Steel

Right now I'm keeping both bass EQ's set to the middle which I assume is a flat response, as well as the pickups balanced. Active EQ.

We have a practice today, So I'm going to bring my SR505 and my GSR200 and try them out to see if I can cut the guitar iteself from the problem.

I'm also going to 'suggest' that the g-ist tries playing through just the amp, not mic it as well.
  14. ArtechnikA

The 'Active' input on the LH1000 has a sensitivity of 60 mV while the 'Passive' is 20 mV.
    I'll probably get this wrong but IIRC that's a 3 dB difference right off the bat. You can make it up with more gain (Volume) but you're pushing closer to the 'warmth' area.

Impedance on the two inputs is identical.

Unless you're hearing something that sounds a lot like input clipping, the Passive input is the hot setup. I have heard more people say they do not like the Limiter than those that prefer it - so maybe that's getting in your way too.
  15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    One thing I noticed with my Kilo is that the compressor eats volume real fast when you get up around noon. Try running the limiter off or set it real low.
  16. ArtechnikA

On the LH, it's off or on.
    I've had it on a time or two but I don't think it's doing anything at 'home' volume, so I leave it off...
  17. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Try running in the passive input, and try playing w/o the limiter on. There have also been reported issues with tubes being bad in the LH amps out of the box, so who knows. I have the same setup and usually don't get above 5 on the volume, and that's running the EQ around the 2-10-2 settings.
  18. Steel

Steel

Hmm, ok I'll try without the limiter today as well. Perhaps stop by..someplace that sells tubes. Just in case. Cheap fix.
  19. Signs

Signs

Quote:
    That said - what's your EQ look like? Fender tone stack - 'flat' is 2-10-2. If you're trying to push a ton of bass content, that could overload the cab and sound like distortion.

My LH500 with one cab is loud with the 2-10-2 setting with a P bass. (210) With a 210 and 115 it is really loud. With a Jazz bass with more bass and treble it is still loud...
  20. McSollis

McSollis

I too am having volume concerns with my new Hartke rig. I recently acquired an LH1000 and a Hydrive 410. While I wouldn't say that I'm getting a distorted sound necessarily, I am somewhat concerned that the amp is not as loud as it should be. Today at band practice, we were down to one guitar player playing through a 2x12 Mesa, and our drummer. The LH1000 volume was cranked to around 7 before I felt like it was keeping up. I was running bridged, using the active input, Limiter on, and EQ somewhere around 4-9-3. Maybe I am over thinking, but I just expected it to be a little louder than it is.
  21. Steel

Steel

Alright - Seems like the limiter kills a lot of volume. I then ran in dual parallel to the hx410 and the vx115 I have, biasing to the 410 obviously. It got a lot better there. Turned down the PA support on the guitarist and that REALLY balanced out the sound. I could practice at 3 or 4 on the volume at that point. Still sounded distorted at 6, like the cones were being pushed too hard or something, but that wasn't as apparent once the drummer started making his racket. Next up is to order up a high-gain tung-sol tube or two and see if that has any apparent effect.