Life without A/C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mbelue, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mbelue

mbelue

As long as I've played bass I've lived in a house with air conditioning. Which to me means mostly consistent humidity and temperature. I just moved into an older home that has no air conditioning. Some baseboard heaters but nothing to control humidity or set maximum temperature.
    What is best practice as far as bass storage? In a hardshell case, on a stand? Will it make any difference?
    I'm sure much more adjustment will be needed than before but anything preventative I can do would be better.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Oh,I thought this was another Adam Clayton thread. Never mind.

Kidding. Just keep it near the middle of the house like near an inside wall. Temp is most consultant there. Humidity will seasonally affect the bass but setups will take care of that. In a case if you like; depends on the value of it. I keep all of mine in stands so they all get played regularly.
  3. mrmills

mrmills

Depends on the instrument and how extreme the changes in humidity and temperature are.

Modern poly finishes seal the instrument better than old nitro finishes but expect bare wood to change with the environment. I would say keep them in hard cases as it will act as a buffer against rapid changes.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

In your area, the humidity is pretty consistent year 'round. Changes in humidity cause problems, but constant humidity in Bremerton probably won't.

(MEMBERS NOTE - when you show your residence area, it sometimes helps people respond!!)

You may get some changes in setup during the first 30-60 days you're without AC, but I wouldn't expect much change after that.

If you really want to use one, people have nearly forgotten that there are these things called DE-humidifiers. You can put one in the room where your instruments are stored and it will remove water from the air. However, you will need to empty it regularly (unless you can set up a full-time drain) and every time your instruments leave the room they will experience a humidity change.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Our place does not have central air and the room where I keep my basses is one that is not cooled. It is heated in winter, but relies on circulation to keep temps down in summer. I leave at least one bass out at all times and have never had any serous issues with any of them associated with temp or humidity, which can get really high here in summer.

I just adjust them as needed, and so far so good.
  7. pedroims

pedroims

I keep my basses on stands all the time, change in humidity/temperature wont cause any damage to the body, some necks are more sensible to these changes but nothing than a tweak on the truss road can not fix.
  8. mbelue

mbelue

First change to report. My original bass a '90s Samick has lost a smidge of relief in about two weeks. Getting some minor feet buzz. Time to tweak.
    Thanks for all the replies.
  9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

You might also look into chucking about $200 or so on a dehumidifier.
    Our storage building(read old house) only has a couple of window units to keep the thing under 90 degrees in the summer but does have 3 dehumidifiers.