1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Light tension strings for bowing

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by dreamer69, Dec 2, 2012.

1. dreamer69

dreamer69

Hi, I have got an old EUB and try to put on it a belcanto solo strings, but have got a lot of tension for the neck. Im searching strings with low tension and suitables for bowing(and not much expensive!!). Im was thinking in eurosonics but this not very recommended for bow. Can you recommend me strins for this situation? Thanks

2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Too much tension for the neck, even with solo Belcantos?
    What EUB is it, if I may ask?

3. dreamer69

dreamer69

4. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    The neck doesn't seem too thin.
    Is it warped?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dreamer69

dreamer69

No, the neck is ok.

7. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Ok, so why did you say that "...try to put on it a belcanto solo strings, but have got a lot of tension for the neck." ?

8. dreamer69

dreamer69

When I put the strings on the eub, have got much tension and the neck twisted slighty and havent got trussrod to compensate it.

9. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Try Innovation 140BS Solo strings in orchestra tuning. They already have a bit lower tension in the normal orchestral version and even lower for the solo set when tuned down to orchestra tuning.

Or (since you are in Europe) try Presto Balance Hybrid (or Orchestra). They are available in Medium, Light anf Ultralight (at least the Hybrids). Even the Medium set has a rather low tension and is very bowable. If you don't know a source in Spain, you can order them from Jonas Lohse (Lando Music) in Germany.

Keep in mind that the lower the tension, the more will the string sink down under the weight of the bow. So it might be hard to bow on an ultralight tension string without accidently catching one of the neighbouring strings. So don't go too low in tension.

Or you can try to find strings for the Stagg EUB. They are also low tension and rather cheap. They are not too bad for an EUB and bowing.