1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Light touch when playing energetic live

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by belzebass, Jul 26, 2013.

1. belzebass

belzebass

Hello-wazzup!

This wednesday I palyed my first live show, and I was really digging (way too much) into the strings with my fingers. My timing suffered, had hard time using dynamics, and got eyed by the sound guy for not playing like during soundcheck :)

I also felt I didn't have enough of me in the monitorq (acoustic kit, no amps, shared monitors for everyone)

How do you keep the light touch while keeping energy on scene (it's a hard rock group, so...). Any tips (physical or mental) for being in the hi-octane zone without going full throttle on ze figerz?

Thanks a lot!
  2. IncX

IncX

i deal with the same problems ... you just have to get used to it; make it look like you are playing hard but always be in control.

its your first time, so there's always that adrenaline surge
  3. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

I've got the same problem. But that was first time playing live in 15 years. Might have gone a little overboard, but the sound guy was all over it (in a good way). I think it also has to do with the strings. It's my only bass with tape wounds. They were clicking WAY to much. I'm going to go back to my usual flats before next time might help the issue.
  4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yep the sound guy will save you, that is why he is there.

Just be aware and less is usually more.
  5. Edgar664

Edgar664

You'll get used to it. After many years of playing I still play the first song of every gig very hard an then I calm down for the second song ;)