1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

light weight, dark woods, available 6/4+

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FBB Custom, Nov 18, 2013.

1. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Just thought I'd throw the question out here. Most dark woods are dense, right? Are there any less dense options? Criteria:

1) less dense than black walnut (41 lbs/ft3)
    2) available 6/4 and thicker
    3) not impossible to find
    4) dark -- mahogany/sapele is not dark enough

Peruvian walnut would be great, but no one cuts thicker than 4/4.
    Post sources if you've got them.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Wow, I was thinking, "this is a question for fbb" until I saw who was asking it! :)

I don't know of anything. I'll just say that I now have gotten Peruvian from two different sources, and they were both nearly identical boards. I'd call them pretty light, pretty porous, and somewhat warmer and lighter than what I usually think of as the dark end of black walnut.

3. LightGroove

LightGroove

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Hah! I do my homework but there are so many species, and it seems each year we see a few new ones becoming available commercially. Hoping that there is something that I've missed, or that there is a source for roasted poplar that I don't know about.

Peruvian is pretty uniform in color and texture from what I've seen. The stuff that I have is much less dense than most black walnut. It feels around spanish cedar in density. Very nice, but 4/4. The problem, as I understand, is that it develops internal cracks while drying when it's cut 6/4 or thicker.

Black limba is nice, but uniform darkness is not something one can count on. Much of what I see is mostly straw-colored with some dark streaks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KramerDon

KramerDon

I'd never thought about it till now but I sure can't think of a naturally dark wood that isn't fairly heavy! ......and I personally hate to see a drastic color change done with stain or dye,just my little pet peeve. I love a bunch of different tropical exotics but they're all pretty much dense and heavy,part of what I like about them.
    I'll be watching this thread with interest!

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I hear you boss. Dark and light weight? Nothing I know of. The darkest light weight wood I have is Spanish Cedar and that isn't dark enough for you. Good luck man!

8. pilotjones

BTW I didn't get your PM because my box was full, but I've since made some space.

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    I think you are still too full.

Any sense of whether imbuia is typically lighter or heavier than black walnut? I have some Indiana walnut that is quite dense. I have not used imbuia in a while but I seem to recall it being sort of not too bad, density-wise.

10. LightGroove

LightGroove

11. pilotjones

I don't know what's up with my PMs - I deleted at least forty messages. You can get me at pwpatengineerdotcom.

Sorry, I've got no personal experience with imbuia. If you like I can check tonight whether I have any published numbers that you don't.