1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

light weight, dark woods, available 6/4+

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FBB Custom, Nov 18, 2013.

1. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Just thought I'd throw the question out here. Most dark woods are dense, right? Are there any less dense options? Criteria:

1) less dense than black walnut (41 lbs/ft3)
    2) available 6/4 and thicker
    3) not impossible to find
    4) dark -- mahogany/sapele is not dark enough

Peruvian walnut would be great, but no one cuts thicker than 4/4.
    Post sources if you've got them.
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Wow, I was thinking, "this is a question for fbb" until I saw who was asking it! :)

I don't know of anything. I'll just say that I now have gotten Peruvian from two different sources, and they were both nearly identical boards. I'd call them pretty light, pretty porous, and somewhat warmer and lighter than what I usually think of as the dark end of black walnut.
  3. LightGroove

LightGroove

Black limba?
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Hah! I do my homework but there are so many species, and it seems each year we see a few new ones becoming available commercially. Hoping that there is something that I've missed, or that there is a source for roasted poplar that I don't know about.

Peruvian is pretty uniform in color and texture from what I've seen. The stuff that I have is much less dense than most black walnut. It feels around spanish cedar in density. Very nice, but 4/4. The problem, as I understand, is that it develops internal cracks while drying when it's cut 6/4 or thicker.

Black limba is nice, but uniform darkness is not something one can count on. Much of what I see is mostly straw-colored with some dark streaks.
  5. KramerDon

KramerDon

I'd never thought about it till now but I sure can't think of a naturally dark wood that isn't fairly heavy! ......and I personally hate to see a drastic color change done with stain or dye,just my little pet peeve. I love a bunch of different tropical exotics but they're all pretty much dense and heavy,part of what I like about them.
    I'll be watching this thread with interest!
  6. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I hear you boss. Dark and light weight? Nothing I know of. The darkest light weight wood I have is Spanish Cedar and that isn't dark enough for you. Good luck man!
  7. pilotjones

BTW I didn't get your PM because my box was full, but I've since made some space.
  8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    I think you are still too full.

Any sense of whether imbuia is typically lighter or heavier than black walnut? I have some Indiana walnut that is quite dense. I have not used imbuia in a while but I seem to recall it being sort of not too bad, density-wise.
  9. LightGroove

LightGroove

10. pilotjones

I don't know what's up with my PMs - I deleted at least forty messages. You can get me at pwpatengineerdotcom.

Sorry, I've got no personal experience with imbuia. If you like I can check tonight whether I have any published numbers that you don't.