1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lighter Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass.strings, Apr 1, 2014.

1. bass.strings

bass.strings

I currently own a Fender MIM 5 string and a Fender MIA Pbass Deluxe. They both are heavy. I have been having back problems and after a gig, I hurt for a couple of days. I'm looking at getting a lighter bass with versital tone. I play mostly contemporary Christian and black gospel. Any feedback would be appreciative. Looking in the range of $1500

2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

What is your weight range? There are a lot of Fenders that are around 8 lbs. and some under that. You just have to search around for them.

3. mcgreivey

mcgreivey

My solution to this problem was to go toward Danelectro-type basses. My main basses these days are a Jerry Jones Longhorn and a Danelectro 56. Short scale length and lower string tension also helped alleviate joint pain in my fingers and left wrist (mild arthritis). I think the Longhorn is about 6 lbs, the 56 is about 7. they're both great-sounding basses, though admittedly not the sound everyone seeks.

I still get my Jazz bass (9+ lbs?) out once in a while, but not often, and I don't stand with it for long periods.

4. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    What do your basses weigh now? Then we can get a better idea of what to recommend, since "heavy" is relative. I consider anything under 9 lbs. to be light, and I don't gig with anything heavier than that (I too have had back problems). If your MIM 5er is anything like the one I had a long time ago, it's probably about 12 lbs! There are some really light semi-hollowbody Fenders out there too like the Coronados. Beatle basses usually weigh about 6 lbs. I had a Road Worn P Bass that was in the 7s. For $1500 you really have a ton of options.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

+1

Longhorn is a great bass. Also I'd highly recommend my Carvin AC50. It clocks in at roughly the same weight and again a somewhat different animal from a Fender Jazz, but it's a killer bass for many things.

If I had to get a light bass to save my back, and could only get one, my choice hands down would be the Carvin Semihollow. But then I don't have to buy just one, so if it REALLY were me, I'd get BOTH the Carvin AC50 and the Longhorn!

TB rule: You can never own too many (light weight) basses! :)

7. bass.strings

bass.strings

They both weigh 11lbs..

8. gary m

gary m

My Hofner Club is a featherweight, but might not be what you're looking for tonewise. Still, it's a very comfy instrument.

9. Texas twelve

Texas twelve

I would add my "amen" to that. I had a jazz clone, and the weight of it was bothering my back after about 40 minutes.

I got a Hofner Icon because I simply always wanted one. I was blown away by both the sound and the incredible reduction in the weight.

Most hollows will weight much less.

10. mongo2

mongo2

My Hofner Ignition Club weighs 4.5lbs.

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

If you look, you can find nice 5ers in that price range under 9 lbs (which is my personal limit). If you can dig 35" scale, Lakland 5502/Darryl Jones 5 can be found at 8.5 lbs and are amazing instruments. Good luck finding a Fender 5er under 9.5-10 lbs, although they do exist.

12. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

If I needed a lightweight 5er, I'd be looking at Ibanez. Of course, they are quite different from Fender, but based on the genres you mentioned, I think they would work for you.

13. Immigrant

Immigrant

I'd watch the classifieds here for sure. I've been pondering selling my favorite bass, a custom fiver that weighs 7.5 lbs. I've seen other similar deals. Patience is key.

14. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

You can find a used Mike Lull for that kind of money. He likes to keep his basses under 8 lbs

15. eagle67

eagle67

Birdsong. At the top of your price range, but worth it. 7.5 lbs

16. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

You can specify a light weight piece of wood when ordering from Carvin. The make amazing basses, expecially 5'ers. You'd likely have quite a bit of money left over from that $1,500...

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. just a caveat tossed into the mix, but be a bit careful purchasing a bass where weight is one of the main criteria ... there is a great deal of disparity in methods and scales used when a basses weight is quoted, I have had more than a few occassions where basses have arrived at least a pound heavier than supposed to be. I have since started taking weights tossed around with a grain of salt, unless somebody used a scale that was either 'calibrated' for commercial trade, OR they checked their personal scale against a calibrated scale and are willing to stand behind it as accurate.

It may not seem like that big of deal, and if a bass that is supposed to be 7.5 lbs arrives at 8 lbs, or even 8.5 it is certainly still within acceptable range for most, but if it is supposed to be 8.5 or 8.75 and arrives at 9.5+, there can be a bit of an issue ... on the flip side of that, I have also had basses presented to be low-mid 8 lb range, and showed up sub 8 lb ... so it can work both ways!

.. about the only way to cover yourself if weight is a critical factor in your selection, is to ask the 'method used' to weigh the bass, and/or even request it be taken somewhere such as the PO/UPS/Fed Ex, etc. where the scale should be calibrated for commercial trade ...

... this is all probably far too detailed and unnecessary for most folk, but if weight is a real concern, you dont want to be dissapointed when your purchase arrives ... it has become common place to ask weight, asking method used and assured accuracy are not out of line either (IMHO) if it is a deciding factor, especially on an expensive piece ...

18. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Ibanez makes some lightweight 5 stringers. 7.5 lb range. And inexpensive too. Brady Muckelroy just made me a 5 string that's weighs 6lbs but you'd have to spend a little more than $1500.

19. Kickass

Kickass

[​IMG]
    Fender and 7lb 3oz.
    Great neck and sound.
    I like it but my Washburn AB20 is even lighter.
    My headless Washburn Force42 is a beast at 9lb 9oz.

20. spanndrew

spanndrew

Carvin offers a hollowed out body on their jazz clone. I think it knocks off a pound or two.

21. Radio Face

Radio Face

In a 4 string, I recommend a MIA Fender American Deluxe Jazz from around the year 2000. I have this bass and, it is very light.