Lighter weight cab alternative to fEARful 15/6

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Feb 21, 2014.

1. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Hi all. I have been gigging with a 15/6 for a few years now and love it. However, a recent (minor) back injury has caused me to question lugging around even its relatively minor 55 lbs in lieu of a lighter weight cab. Yes, eventually I will be back to >50 lbs lifting ability but I am starting to see my family history of back problems manifesting itself in me as I get close to my 30s. (And before anyone jumps in with comments, I exercise a lot and get good marks from the doc... Although I am certainly going to take up several more core strength exercises after this experience.) The other thing is, I am not a professional bassist. This is just a fun side gig for me. No need to risk injury in the name of a hobby the way I see it--no matter how good I may be or how many people want me to play for them, playing bass is decidedly not my day job and doesn't warrant that kind of risk taking.

I see there are a lot of cabs out there <30 lbs, and definitely <40 lbs, that are well-liked. What would be a good replacement for my 15/6 though? I got it because it has a great sound in the low end I wasn't getting with my previous Ampeg 4x10 or MB 1x15 (both with tweeters). Those cabs tended not to have as much fidelity in the low register.

And I will have to say one of my less sensible conditions is it can't be something upholstered in rat fur like most of the MarkBass cabs are. I hate that stuff.

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

2. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you love your fEarful 15/6, I'd suggest a fEarful 12/6, possibly with a sub for when you need it on bigger gigs.

That or a hand truck.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
  4. nick98338

nick98338

I also suggest one of the 12/6 variants. I built a 15/6. It is big enough and heavy enough that I need to carry it with both hands. I built a 12/6/1 cube that I carry with one hand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thiocyclist

What does the 12/6 normally weigh?

Hand truck is not a bad idea either.

Thank you.

That's really good to hear.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There are some really light weight 12/6's out there. Weight will depend on the materials used. Ligher wood, light weight hardware... it all adds up. I know ::Bassist:: (Torin) built a 43 pound 15/6, not sure how light his 12/6 is.

If you are not building the cab yourself, you may consider the fEARless F110 and F112 as well. They are smaller and lighter than their fEARful cousins. There is also the consideration of the Bassic 15. The Faital 15PR400 would surprise you in how much fidelity it has.

8. mick46

mick46

Barefaced Big Twin 2

9. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    My 12/6s weight 37 and 39 lbs. (Different wood.)

Another pound can be saved by using the neo Alphalite mid driver. (I used the ceramic Alpha.)

Possibly could save another lb or two by using lightweight wood. (The lighter of my 12/6s is Arauco, the heavier generic pine plywood. But there are slightly lighter alternatives.)

10. thiocyclist

Here's a thought, would my fEARful 15/6 trade well against a comparable 12/6?

11. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

The other light wood is okume! I have a SWR Golight 410 that weighs 56 lbs.

12. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    As in finding someone who has a 12/6 and trading them? It might, but that is going to be a case by case situation.

13. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

It all depends if you want the same voice as the 15/6, or are looking for something different.

The 12/6 is a popular lower weight (right around 40 pounds) alternative. The fearless line is even smaller and a few pounds lighter.

Other alternatives abound if you are looking for an alternate voice. As much as I enjoy my fearful, I enjoy having something that sounds completely different on hand. I've been using a pair of Ampeg SVT210AV cabinets to satisfy that. One of those little buggers can do wonders in small room low volume gigs, and two do just fine against a normal drummer.

Jim

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

little bit different direction, but a Bergantino CN112 weighs in at 28lbs and is a killer sounding cab.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

15 vs. 12, I think you mean in terms of output? You can't expect quite the same heft for obvious reasons. It would depend on how much of the 15's performance you're using.

A modular rig and handcart is what you need. And a stationwagon.

16. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If he likes the kind of low end he is getting from the fEARful, that cab is likely to not satisfy regardless of how much it weighs.

17. thiocyclist

I'd say largely the same voice. Perhaps my only issue with the 15/6 sonically is that there seems to be a small decrease in dB between 50 and 60 Hz (or their first harmonics). You can't hear it in a mix though (at least I can't). So it's a nitpick.

18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If you moved to a commercial cab this roll of point would move up significantly.

19. Samsquanch1972

Samsquanch1972 Supporting Member

Peavey mentioned the Bassic, not sure about the tone you are going for but my Bassic 115 weighs 30 lbs.

20. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

LOL! My thoughts exactly...it attracts cat hair like a magnet!

21. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

well, I said it was a bit of a different direction and it was just a suggestion.

I know you are a huge proponent of fEARful cabs, just about to the point where if the question has "cab" in it, then the answer must be "fEARful", but just to be factual, the Berg will deliver 40hz quite respectably and has plenty of usable low end.

And it weighs 28lbs and not 55. :cool:

just sayin'