lightest (& cheapest) 2ohms Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by xuazak, Jan 20, 2014.

1. xuazak

xuazak

Hi !

I currently have a Kustom Groove 115C from whick I extracted the head to carry each seperately.

For some little gigs, I'd like to find a really lightweight amp (like 200W) which can accept the 3ohms cabinet of the 115C. A GK MB200 would have been nice if it would accept 3ohms and the price is correct for such a "side" investment.

If someone knows such an amp, please tell me !
    Thanks...

Fred
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I've never even heard of a 3Ω cabinet.
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin's BX500 is very light, 500w and goes to 2 ohms. 399.00 bucks delivered.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Maybe he rounded-up the 2.67 Ohms one gets in a three-8 Ohm driver cab?

8 Ohm + 8 Ohm + 8 Ohm = 2.67 Ohms --- right?

Or --- worser --- one of the four 8 Ohm drivers is dead in a 4-10? (Can't say I've ever seen that configuration though.)

Still-in-all ---- a very odd question.
  7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I looked at the owner's manual. The head section speaker jack says 600W RMS 3 ohms, and the speaker cabinet section says, "impedance 3 ohms." The manual lists the speaker as a special design Eminence.

I can only assume it's a 4 ohm speaker which would measure 3.2ohms resistance. I suppose it could be a special order 3 ohm impedance speaker. Who knows?
  9. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Did anyone see the weight of that sucker?

If it's not a typo on their part, it says 106 LBS!!!!!

Hernia time.
  10. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Carvin BX500 seems the cheapest 2 ohm capable amp around. I see in the specs for your combo that the rig weighs 106lb (assembled). Has the head and cab been separated for easier hauling?

The BX500 is about $400 but is 500 watts so IMO you would be better off to get a smaller/lighter combo for less than $400 and save hauling the 115C's cab to your smaller gigs.
  11. hsech

hsech I can feel the love....... Gold Supporting Member

+1
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

13. Major Softie

Major Softie

Cheap and 2 ohm is easy: all the old Peavey 400 series (Mark III, Mark IV, etc.).

This does not, however, fulfill the "light" requirement.
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I might be missing something, but you are looking for a 'lighter' head to use on the 'smaller gigs', but you are still going to transport that heavy, oddball impedance cab to mount it on? .. what does the head/cab portion each weigh just by itself, are you going to be saving yourself all that much work going to just a smaller head??

JMHO, but you may not be looking to downsize the right portion if that original cab housing is still intact ... that puppy has two handles on EACH side ... :eek:

... Small gigs to me, means MB200 in the gig bag and over the shoulder, 210AV in one hand and one hand to open the door in and out ... 7 lb bass, head, cab = 35 lbs ... JMHO
  15. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

How about getting a lightweight cab that will work with your head? Sounds like the cab is the real beast to move.
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the OP is in the States the BX500 would be a suitable choice. If he is not then duties and taxes makes it less inviting.

OP please fill out your profile fully as it helps us tailor our replies to suit your needs. We can't suggest something expensive to a young person who can't afford the purchase price. Your location allows us to recommend stuff that should be available in your particular area.
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This ^

I was going to say used Peavey T-Max for the win.

"Lightweight",?......whaddaya need that for....ya some kinda sissy?....gettin' a little light in the loafers there are ya?....maybe you should reconsider and start practicing the piccollo. :D

In all seriousness, if lightweight and affordable are your main goals, something from Carvin will fit the bill. They'll stay clean all the way up. That could be a good thing, or not so good, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.
  18. xuazak

xuazak

Thank to all of you for your advises...

Reading you, I'm starting to think of selling my 115C (even if I love it when playing... But I can't get it home in my second floor flat) and buy a 3 parts amp with a Head and 2 smaller cabs and choose to take both the cabs or just 1 depending on the need...

Maybe the BX500 would still be an good option... But I don't need the 2ohms option in that configuration.

Would you have some suggestions ?

I must precise (taking the risk to get some enemies in there) that I'm a Keyboards player often playing bass parts, but also synth melodic ones... So I really need a full frequency range amp. The 115c was perfect for that, deep bass and precise highs. But I may read other threads before asking...

So, thank you again...

Fred