1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lightwave Saber VL/SL owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deechord, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Deechord

Deechord

I saw Ed Freidland's video's on YT. The optical pup's really intrigue me. Would like to hear your pro/cons. Do any of you gig with one? Do you prefer it over your magnetic pup basses? How has it held up overall, as a viable alternative to traditional basses? My inquiring mind wants to know.

2. MrSaxoBeat

MrSaxoBeat

3. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    I love mine. The optical pickups really do capture the voice of the bass better, and you can use any string material, even Bronze!

I find the Lightwaves to be extremely sensitive to touch, and the piezo system is one of the most sensitive I've ever played. So, if you are percussive in your playing, it will hear that as well. More then viable alternative. Lightwaves also have some of the thinnest, fastest necks I"ve ever played!

4. Deechord

Deechord

Thanks for the link. It seems to me that one would really have to have a very good technique. I'm thinking that this would NOT be an instrument for a beginning bass player.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The Lightwave bass is identical in every way to a standard bass, with the exception of the pickup technology. There would be no reason at all for a beginner to shy away from owning a Lightwave. They look, play, and the controls operate exactly like a regular bass. The only thing that's anywhere near complicated is if you want to fiddle with the optics, which you should NEVER have to do.

My Saber is light as a feather, plays like a dream, and sounds fantastic. The only drawback would be if you wanted a very deep or muddy tone. I've found the Lightwave to be more on the bright side. Closer to a Jazz than a Precision.

7. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88

The fact that you can put whatever strings you want on them is quite cool. I'm guessing that, if you did indeed want a very warm, round tone, you could put nylon strings on them, right? I see no reason why non-metal strings could be used. I've always liked bronze strings on accoustic basses too, so using them would be neat.

I see no reason why it couldn't produce that sound with normal strings though. Doesn't it still have active bass and mid-range boost-cut?

8. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I have a great luthier friend who had one in his shop once and I was able to put it through it's paces at a reasonable volume. I was very impressed by the optical p/up technology. The sheer purity of the signal is uncanny. It's dead quiet and you can hear every nuance of your playing.

9. Deechord

Deechord

Guess I'll save up for one!!!:) Maybe by the end of the year...LOL