1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lightweight 215's and 610 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Dec 6, 2012.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970 Supporting Member

I recently decided that I want to keep my Mesa 400+ and go through with some repairs but have decided my cab doesn't pair well with this head. I have an Ampeg 410he and find it muddy and not too punchy in the mid range. I'm looking to upgrade to a 215 or 610 cab that has a quick attack and a great punchy defined sound. My only thing is a pack my stuff around quite a bit by myself so I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible.

My first choice so far is a fEARless Dually for the weight and the great things I've heard about it but don't really have a way to play one. My other choice is a Bergantino NV610, not too light but also great reviews on here and it sounds like it might have the sound I'm after. Can you guys recommend some other cabs around this criteria to go try out?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Pretty hard to recommend other cabs, as those two are very well regarded and almost singularities in the cab world.

I would go for the Dually.
  3. Russell L

Russell L

How 'bout dual 115s? Much more flexible. Say, Barefaced Compacts?
  4. CL400Peavey

If the OP was in the EU those would be a top choice. State side, shipping cost + additional cost of two cabs might sink ones budget.

To the OP:

If two 115's would be easier, consider the greenboy Bassic's. Two of them pretty much equates to a Dually.
  5. LukeMan970

Are Dually's voiced with the ability to get a good mid range growl/punch? I've been meaning to message Lazarus Bird and ask him about his Dually but haven't yet.
  6. CL400Peavey

The Faitals might be a little brighter in the mids when compared to the 3015's. Either way both are pretty fantastic, it really depends on how you want to get that growl. If I remember correctly the 3015 breaks up a little nicer when pushed to that point. I would also ask JohnK about his experiences with both drivers.
  7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

there is a great deal on a Dually in the TB classifieds right now. The dude is willing to ship too.
  8. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

FWIW, I have a pair of Faital 15's in an old SWR Big Bertha cab, and I love it. Very lightweight and maneuverable. The Faitals are terrific speakers - tight lows, detailed mids, and they go high enough that I find zero need for a tweeter.
  9. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    The Faital 15PR400's are, IMO, just terrific full range drivers...we've sold a good number of those and have gotten only positive feedback about their performance.

The Dually is an amazingly powerful cab, especially when you consider it weighs 60lbs. Far less than most 410's. Two Bassic 115 cabs is cool for the the modular thing...one for practice and small to medium gigs and two for outdoors and bigger rooms/louder bands, but it'll cost a little more than a single 215. Most greenboy builders (including us) do offer a discount if you order two cabs at the same time, so it wouldn't be that much more, really...depends on what's more important to you; one 65lb schlep or two 35lb schleps :)
  10. CL400Peavey

Hey Mark!

How would you compare the 15PR400 to the 3015 when pushed hard, tonally that is.
  11. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Hey Julian!

First off, I'll state that I've been totally hooked on 2-3 way designs, and all but one of my gigs in the States this year were on those cabs (I currently gig FEARLESS F112, F115 and F215), though I did a couple small gigs on a Bassic for testing and was pretty surprised how well it performed. All that to say, all of my testing with 115 and 215 cabs were just at my studio or the shop.

In a nutshell, the main differences between the 3015 and the PR15400 are;

The Faitals sound a bit fuller and 'louder' at low volume.

The 3015 has a certain 'growl' at high SPL that some favor.

The 3015 seems to have a little more 'girth' at the bottom when you compare the two side by side, though with a little eq, the Faital can sound the same down there.

The tipping point for me is the mids. The Faitals extend a little higher (to my ears at least) and go up a bit smoother, whereas the 3015's sound a tad 'clacky' in the 1-3kh region.

Our testing jives with JohnK's very nice soundclips that a/b both drivers. We recommend the Faital 15PR400 for Duallys and Bassics.

How did you like all my scientific terminology? :D

I've been noticing lately, by reading different 'specs' from a few companies (some of whom I expected to have more integrity) are really useless and downright untrue. They put the numbers up they think we want to hear, knowing they won't really be verified.
  12. LukeMan970

Hey Mark! I actually emailed you a while back about a cab but didn't have the money then. I'm trying to sell an Orange AD30 guitar head right now then that should finance my new cab. I really like your designs and aesthetics so when I finally pull the trigger I'll probably end up going with you. I'm out in Seattle so it'll be shipped but it seems worth it for a quality cab.

It seems like most people like the Faitals more than the 3015's but the comment about the 3015's breaking up nicer has me thinking. I run a B3k with a decent amount of grit dialed in as well as my 400+ set from from mid aggression as well so obviously I like some dirt! What are your thoughts on the two speakers as far as handling overdrive and growling tones?
  13. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    This is strictly IMO, but with a 400+ growl will be the least of your worries! I prefer speakers that don't break up too easy...they sound more solid and transfer low end energy much better...I usually set my amps to the edge of breaking up...so if I play lightly, I get a great clear tone, then when I dig it, the amp starts to break up and gets me 'that sound.' In other words, I'd rather get break up from my amps and dirt pedals than from the cab itself, because while I LOVE gritty mids and highs, I HATE mushy low end.

We have a customer that just raves his 400+ and B25 amps through his Faital loaded Dually and Bassic cabs.

I'd still go with the Faitals :)

Thanks for the visual kudos on our cabs...we just figure if you're gonna pay good money for a boutique cab, then we should provide the option for you to personalize it...it costs very little and isn't really much more hassle and it's pretty exciting when customers get a chance to be involved in the process of making their own cab :)