Lightweight Bass Combo amp at 40 Pounds

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shakiroin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. shakiroin

shakiroin

I need a small lightweight combo. Have back problems and not enough room in my house. Will be using a baby bass and electric active 4 string.

I have been checking at these options. I will love to hear your advise.

Eden E115c 42 LBS 25 x 18 x 16
    Eden E Series Combos - E115C

Gallien Krueger MB115 35 LBS 23 x 2O x 15
    Welcome to Gallien-Krueger: Power to Groove

Gallien Krueger MB212 37 LBS 27 x 20 x 15
    Welcome to Gallien-Krueger: Power to Groove

and this one twice the price ?

MarkBass Mini CMD 151P 40 LBS 18 x 18 x 19
    Markbass - Mini CMD 151P

Thanks for your advice

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear! Supporting Member

The GK are really nice. Also check out Traynor's DynaBass300 combos. They are great - different from the rest of the line.

3. smogg

smogg

The Ibanez P5110 (Promethean 1x10 combo) is worth a look.
    Small with lots of options.

6-band graphic EQ/bass and treble shelving tone controls
    Peak limiting circuit
    Vibe (color) control knob allows both large and incremental changes of tone from vintage to modern bass tones
    2-way Clip Indicator
    Auxiliary input (1/8")
    Balance line out (XLR)
    Phones out, tuner out (1/8")
    Footswitch jack (Mute/Vibe)
    Detachable P500H head with 250W combo, 500W with extension cab (250W @ 8ohms/500W @ 4ohms)
    10" subwoofer rated at 250W
    High frequency dome tweeter with passive crossover
    Tilt-up system
    Metal grille net
    Weight: 28 lb.
    Dimensions: 12-4/5" W x 13-1/10" H x 14-1/5" D
    Ibanez Promethean 1x10 Bass Combo Amp: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Genz Benz Shuttle 12

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear! Supporting Member

Yeah, those Prometheans are really cool too.

8. kraigo

kraigo

That Promethean could make a believer out of me. I have no experience with it but I've been very happy with my GB Shuttle 6.0 for the last 2.5 - 3 years and the new Shuttle 6.2/12 combo would be my most experienced suggestion. KJung was saying that GB knocked it out of the park with this iteration. Still, if the price is right, that Promethean could be pretty darned cool!

KO

9. sanderic

sanderic

I like the GK MB115, i have not played through any of the other amps. I also recommend a GKMB200 head (2 pounds) through a GK MBE410 (41 pounds), this is the amp that I use. Is there better out there? probably, but for my needs, weight, size, price, the GK is perfect.

10. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I owned a GK MB115 very briefly, and I think it's hard to find a better value.

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have two GK MB115s and I like them but I wouldn’t rule out the new super powerful lightweight compact micro heads and cabinets. IE - Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0/NEOX-212T and etc.

EDIT: and +1 to all the above post (the 5110 is nice).

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

The Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0-210T is 32 lb and 600 watts and sounds very good. A friend has one, and he loves it. I have the 3.0-10T to which I add another 10T cab for 300 watts, which is plenty, especially at 18 lb. My KILLER rig is two G-B 10Ts powered by my Mesa/Boogie Walkabout: 13 lb for the head, 16 lb for each speaker, and I can move it around even though I'm temporarily in a wheelchair following surgery.

You didn't mention a budget. The 6.0-210T is about $1300US; the 3.0 is $700 + $490 for the second cabinet. The M/B rig is priciest, at $1100 for the head and $980 for the speakers.

[​IMG]

13. KJung

KJung

Genz has just upgraded the very nice Shuttle 6/12T combo the 6.2/12T combo.... under 40 pounds, and the new model has a lot of deep, even tone. Nice tilt back stand built in, and a nice, easy to remove head 'clamp' sort of design if you want to use the head with a larger cab down the road.

Here is a quick review clip I did a few weeks ago. Pretty amazing sounding combo... hybrid, nice powerful EQ, very full tone.

New Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 12T combo and extension cab - YouTube

There is a clip of the combo alone without the extension cab and a P Bass on my Youtube channel.

Higher priced than the GK combo's, which are a great deal. But this combo is in an entirely different universe of quality and full, even tone IMO.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The Mesa Walkabout is nice too. Thanks Ken for the 6.2 demo - good job.

15. shakiroin

shakiroin

Thanks for all your answers, I forgot to mention a budget at about $700 but that markbass costs almost twice as much. Wondering if is worth it.

I'm kind of looking at the The Ibanez P5110 suggested by some of you. Now, my concern about that is the 10". The models I listed initially are 15s, except for the GK with two twelves. Will this 10" reproduce the lower notes the same way as a 15 inches ?. Will you gig with this P5110 ?

Any feedback on the Genz Benz STL3010T ?
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--GEZSTL3010T

Thanks

16. darius8

darius8

+1 GK MB212---light, powerful, and GK sound. It has an iPod input and headphone jack too which are very handy these days for practicing.

17. shakiroin

shakiroin

18. shakiroin

shakiroin

Any more options ? I'm looking for lightweight about 40 pounds small COMBO for gigging without any extension cabs. But looking for a deep sound as on a 15".

bump

19. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I will second the Carvin Microbass suggestions. I have the 210 combo, like it a lot, it's under 40 lbs. and arrives at your door for about $425.00.

The 115 combo is about $50 less and a couple pounds lighter. Both are 200 watt amps w/o a cab.

MB-115
    MB-210

Good luck!

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmmm, under 40Lbs, 15” driver, combo, under $700.

The GK MB115 fills all those requirements.