Lightweight basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Sauna, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I was just wondering which non-short scale basses there are that are pretty light and good for a smaller person. Does Squier or Fender carry lightweight basses?
  2. zachoff

zachoff

My Peavey Fury is super light and has a super thin neck for folks w/ small hands. Sounds good, plays good, and can be had for pretty cheap. I got it for $150.
  3. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I like thick necks because I have big hands I'm just not very tall. Weight is my biggest issue.
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Ibanez Sr basses with mahogany boidy are very light and very good from the SR300 on up. Basswood body Esp ltd B 154dex and F 154dx are also very good lightwight basses imo.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Scott : I recently bought a Fender Blacktop and I am very happy with it. I had played an Alembic for the last thirty years and, as much I love its sound, I finally decided that it was too heavy for my old shoulders. I find this Fender to be very comfortable. I recently played a gig of three hours with one short break and my shoulder was not aching for a change. These things are fairly inexpensive too so you might want to give one a try.
  7. markdecena28

markdecena28

I recently bought a fender precision 5 string bass.. The seller told me that the bass is already modded and converted it into a jazz bass, aesthetically wise, the bass looks good.. Even the sound, here's my question, how can i be so sure that the one i purchase is an original fender precion bass? First im having doubts on the logo design, i've been checking net for the same model and i cant find one, i inspected the body and for me it looks like it came from a jazz bass, machine head is fender, cause i've seen one.. If anyone can give me the model/type of this precision bass, i'll rest my case...thanks fellow bassists and keep that groove movin!
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

My Fender Aerodyne weighs in somewhere between eight and eight-and-a-half pounds due to it's carved-top jazz body…very light (check out the second pic). Also, it's incredibly well balanced. So much so that when held face-out (playing position) I can balance it at the neck plate on three fingers. Once the wobble stops, it just hovers there!

Oh, did I mention it's sexy as Hell?

[​IMG]
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Fender P's and J's can be lightweight. My MIA P's are all about 8 lbs. J's are usually a little heavier. You like thick necks? Check out some P's.

Depending on your budget you can get into boutiques. Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland, and many more can make very light basses.
  10. ajpaul59

ajpaul59

+1 on teh Aerodyne Some of the Ibanez Soundgear series also come in fairly lightweight
  11. Joedog

Joedog

Don't know the weight, but my 90's Squier Protone 5 is the lightest bass I've owned, and very noticably so. It's a VERY nice bass and a BIG bang for the $. You should be able to find a nice one in the $200 range. They also made a 4 banger Protone, pretty sure it's a PJ configuration.
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's definitely a P/J. A friend o' mine here on TB (What up, Deechord!) bought one last month. It's a lot like the Squier Standard P-Bass Specials (one of my personal favorites!) in that it's a Precision body, Jazz neck and a P/J configuration. And yes, they are fairly light. My P-Bass Special is only slightly heavier than my Aerodyne, maybe by half a pound.
  13. ACNick

ACNick Guest

14. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Im in the same boat, ive been through a gazillion basses over the years, currently im playing a Thumb Bleached Blonde, Thick neck profile and 7.6lbs! but these are hard to find.

Your best bet (budget provided) is to have a custom built, Maco Cortez of Marco Basses built me a P/J that weighs just shy of 8.5 lbs, has a nice thick custom neck profile and sounds incredible! 3 piece body, ash core and cedar wings, flamed maple top.

[​IMG]
  15. Root 5

Root 5

I concur that the Ibanez SR basses are very light. The SR500 is a good choice. I've never tried the ash SR600 so I can't comment on it.
  16. Turxile

Turxile

Warwick Corvettes with Ash bodies. Mine is 7.7 lbs.
  17. spade2you

spade2you

Production basses can be light, very heavy, and everything in between. Ive played a few nice 8lb-ish Fenders and once played an EBMM SR5 that had to way 12+lbs. Luck of the draw.

Going custom can yield some really light basses. My solid Cliff Bordwell 4 is 7.8lbs.
  18. groove pump

groove pump

Gotta love those P/J Yamaha RBX-170's (I think). I tried one in a shop that had upgraded pickups (passive) and a new bridge installed. The thing was an absolute keeper, but someone grabbed it before I could get back there the next day and give it a home.

Very light basses and also cheap enough, even when brandy new, that they're very easy to afford. Plus, that leftover cabbage can go toward eventual upgrades and/or more beer in the fridge...
  19. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Ibanez with 16.5mm spacing SR series, Gary Willis Ibanez basses are amazing, but harder to come by a fretted one. Fender Road worn Jazz basses can be very light, but the bodies are large. Cort Curbow basses are light, very affordable and sound decent. Squier vintage modified jaguars are nice and cheap. Steinberger if you don't mind headless.
  20. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

It don't get any lighter than this!..

[​IMG]
  21. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member