1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lightweight cab just for rehearsal? Fender or Eden 112?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Jun 24, 2011.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

I'm after a lightweight cab just for rehearsals. I have a couple of excellent Ashdown cabs that weight 28-33kg and are also a bit wide for a 1 man lift so a pain to carry regularly. I'm hoping to get a light weight cab that will save my back. This will be just for rehearsals so doesn't need mega ammounts of volume. I also only play 4 strings so no 5 strings or dub bass to worry about. Spec's must be:
    15kg or less
    Min 250W @ 8 ohm (so i can use it with my 500W head)
    Max £290 GB

I'm probably not going to be able to try any of these cabs. Does anyone have any experinece of them, particulary whether they can handle low notes with breaking up. I'm more inclined for a 12" cab or maybe a 15" at a push. No Mark bass cabs though, in the UK they are just well out of my price range.

At the moment i'm thinking 1 of these:

Fender Rumble 112 11kg 500w @ 8ohm £255
    Eden EX-112 8 Ohm 13.7kg 300w @ 8ohm £255
    GK 115MBE 15kg 400w @ 8 ohm £263
    GK Neo 112-II 14kg 300w @ 8ohm £292

The Fender is probably tops at the moment for weight and cash, i like the look of it too. But has anyone tried any of these? How do they handle low end?
  2. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

Eden EX 112, sound's pretty good. Very versatile cab.
    Cheers. Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite
  3. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Thanks Enrico, hows it for bottom end and definition?
  4. walkerci

walkerci

I'd have to go with the Mesa Boogie PowerHouse112.:eyebrow:
    Lightweight, great tone, lots of SPL, and they fit in my Mustang.

I've got two of them and they are loud enough with any of my amps to gig with a loud drummer and 2 loud guitards.

My amps: Eden Nemesis ENX260, Markbass Little Mark II, Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, and Eden WT800B
  5. fish slapper

fish slapper

I've got the Eden and I think it has pretty good bottom end definition. If anything it's a bit mushy in the upper mids as compared to my Wizzy 10 or Schroe 12+L. But very organic if that's what you're looking for.
  6. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    The Eden is one of the WORST cabs EVER built...I'm sorry, but it is absolutely HORRID. Ask Tom Bowlus, ask any of the more knowledgeable people around here.

Of the bunch you've quoted, I'd go with the GK.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  7. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

wow, some really mixed reponses! The Mesa is definately out of this price range.

Anyone else tried the Fender, Eden or GK?
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

You are talking about the Eden 112XLT, which is indeed an aweful cab, but the new Eden EX112 is a great little cab.

Be careful which model you are referring to.
  9. fish slapper

fish slapper

I'm not asking anyone but my own ears. My opinion is first hand. Sorry if that's not enough "knowledge" for you.
  10. flexo

flexo

Can you post a few links to some of their posts? I'm strongly considering a couple of EX112 cabs and there's not too much info out there on them yet.

I'd also like to see if they were referring to the EX112's or the D112XLT like another poster suggested.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino AE112. 31 pounds, 8 ohms, 300 watts. However, I really like my AE210. 40 pounds, 8 ohms, 400 watts.
  12. Infidelity

Infidelity

Hands down the GK 112 NEO II.. Cheap and voiced really well!
  13. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    must be an improvement...ANYTHING'S better than that thing was.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  14. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

don't think i can get Berganto's easily here in the UK
  15. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Yep, absolutely...only problem here is in the UK there are no local guitar shops that stock these brands i can only get them from online shops in Europe or from the north of england (too far to travel). So i'm looking at ordering "blind". You guys have it so lucky on the other side of the pond!

But as its mainly for rehearsals the tone isn't quite as important as just not farting out. I can get decent tone out of my main rig during gigs etc
  16. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

No Fender rumble users out there?
  17. babebambi

babebambi

If you are in UK, you own yourself to try one of the Barefaced cab. They may be out of the price range you specified, but you may change your mind after a test drive.

Barefaced Bass - Midget
  18. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

Since you're in EU - I'd suggest tks

His 112 is great and his 1126 nothing short of amazing.
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

20. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Some really interesting suggestions here guys..thanks! Really like the description of those Barefaced cabs, if i'm down that way i'll have to test one out. They are out of my price range though...maybe when the gigs come rollin in.

As for Avatar and TKS don't know anyone who imports them into the UK. Really looking at what i can get in the UK for this price which is limited to GK, Eden and Fender.

Are there no takers at all for Fender 12's?