1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lightweight cab(s) to pair with Ampeg SVT VR

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by magic papa, Apr 11, 2014.

1. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Got an SVT VR which I used to pair with a Mesa PH 4x12. Awesome combination, but Mesa is now way to heavy and cumbersome for me, so I'm looking for some lightweight options. Ideally 2 cabs 2x12 or 2 cabs 4x10. Preferably 8 ohm, so they can be used with other heads also.

My candidates were:

* Ampeg PN-410HLF (Pro Neo)
    * Ampeg SVT-212AV (4ohm only unfortunately)
    * Ampeg PF-410HLF

The last one (Portaflex) seems quite nice, not too heavy, 8ohm and 800W. Has anybody used the SVT with 2 PF cabs?

Or perhaps I could get 4 micro cabs (SVT210AV). Would look funny, but should be a mighty rig. Has anybody tried that?

TIA

MP

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I think it's Figjam on here who has 4 of the 210av cabs. I wouldn't do it but I do like those little cabs. They're not going to have quite the low end of the 810e but I use two of them regularly with a V4B or PF800 and they kick for medium duty cabs.

Not familiar with any of the other cabs, though the specs tell me the low end's going to be quite deep on the PF410hlf, whereas the PN410hlf is voiced a little closer to the 810e, as is the 212av. I've heard the PN410hlf described by folks who work there as "sounds like Ampeg but a little tighter and cleaner."

3. magic papa

Thanks a lot JimmyM. I was imagining 212AV to be rather on the deeper side of things, but if it's voiced close to 810e than it would be a good fit. Even the looks match, the only downside is the 4ohm only version, but I guess I can't have everything. The upside of having a 4 ohm cab is that I can use a single one with the same head.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Check out this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/nad-ampeg-svt-cl-svt212av-1068497/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. magic papa