1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lightweight cabs for medium sized venues

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gommerspider, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Gommerspider

Gommerspider

Let's say that you play in a medium sized venue (150-200 ppl max)

What would you choose for a lighweight (that you can carry on your own) cab as a stage monitor apart from PA? What power and speaker sized would you think it will be enough?

I tend to think that a 2x12 would be enough.

My personal problem is what to buy for my Orange Ad 200b Mk3. I tend to think that the TC RS212 would be ok. Although I am troubled if i can fit my orange head above this cab.

Please advise.
  2. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I would think that any of the various "super twelve" 1x12 cabs would do.
  3. nick98338

nick98338

Sounds very similar to a decision I recently made. I chose a solid state, 350 watt amp, and a 1X15 cab with 300 watt driver. The amp weighs about 8 pounds. The cabinet weighs about 40 pounds. Volume is good. Have not yet needed more than about 60% of max.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1
  5. Russell L

Russell L

Depends on the band, volume, PA, tone, preference, etc.

Personally, I'm doing a 300w head at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm 115 cab (or two for 500w at 4 ohms), usually without PA support, but it's there when needed.
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

A 115 (40 pounds) or a 212 (50 pounds). I'm doubtful about a 12 unless it's a fEARful or similar design.
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Lately I've been playing a lot of venues like OP describes -- 150-200 capacity, bass feeds a PA so onstage amp is only used as a stage monitor -- and I've found a pair of 1x15" or a pair of 1x12" (or, more commonly, one each 1x12 & 1x15) have been more than sufficient.

Of course, I've also found that to be true for venues of 7,500-10,000 capacity, as well as 25-50 capacity. Once you're using PA for audience support there's almost no size venue where a modest bass amp isn't sufficient for onstage support ...unless the venue has really crappy monitors and/or a disproportionately large stage.
  8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

What about a 210 in this scenario? They tend to be lighter, and of course I could always use another 210 if needed.
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

These things are so hard to judge. A 210 could work fine. But the fact is, if your guitar player decides to go from 3 to 4 on his volume knob, suddenly the 210 might not do as well as you hoped. Us bass players are always hoping to operate on the edge of engineering possibilities. We want to keep up in a "rock" band, "medium" venue and we want to carry our rig in under our arm. Can you sometimes make that happen? Sure. Depends on the volume of the band, the tone you like to get, PA support, quality of the cab/speakers. If some of those variables tip the wrong way, you're out of luck.
  10. rpsands

rpsands

As a stage monitor, I'd look at something in the 4x10 sensitivity range. A quality 2x12 like the Genz NX212 might work.
  11. nordyboy

nordyboy Supporting Member

Talk to Roger Baer, he is a really nice guy with some amazing lightweight high power handling cabs. Apparently they respond very well to all valve heads like the AD 200 and are certainly excellent with some of the class D options like the streamliner.
    I have 2x Ml112 as onstage monitors in a 500 seat auditorium with p/a, driven by a 900 watt micro, they don't even break a sweat! Amp master volume set at 1/4.
  12. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I use my set up as a personal monitor and have come to the conlcusion that I do not require a bigger rig to get a big sound.....

I've used 2x10 in 3000-6000 capacity auditoriums.

PA support handles what I need...

IMHO: My ego is satisfied with my tone, which has been complimented by Nathan East, Joel DiBartolo, Dann Glenn and Tim Bogart to name drop a few....

I'm just sayin.... Keep it Simple and save your back.
  13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Bingo, just the direction I am heading. I've already unloaded the 400+, just can't talk myself into getting rid of the 210XLT!
  14. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I have two Schroeder 15+L Cabs that I've used for everything. Small gigs I take just one, everything else I take the pair. They handle 400 watts each, 104db sensitivity and weigh only 35 lbs each.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've used my Bergantino AE210 for that with great success. For outdoors, the AE212 works very well.
  16. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I'm selling my 210 XLT, unloaded my MESA M6, bought the Aguilar TH 500. I've been using a MESA Scout 12/4ohm cabinet for just about everything lately and I'm having a 1010/6 cab built by Don Oatman of Low Down Sound

2 - Eminence 10" LF speakers 450 watts each
    1 - Faital 6" 150 watts

That makes 1050 watts for my little TH500 :cool:

Check out the LDS thread:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/low-down-sound-club-part-four-848736/index18.html :cool:
  17. dspellman

dspellman

I'm planning on the fEARless F112 for that. I like the form factor (it can be used as a floor monitor at about a 45 degree angle as well as a standup), the size (about 16 x 20 x 16) and the weight (under 40 lbs) and the power handling.
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Playing with PA, the size of the gig matters less than how loud your band is on stage.

There is another variable. It's not easy to play quietly enough to be in the PA in the not so big gigs, making it a bass heavy stage mix to carry the room. It takes a special kind of guitarist to not follow suit. Drummer starts smashing and you're left with vocals and kickdrum in the PA, vocalist can't hear himself, generally craptastic sound.

You're stuck with the dispersion you get from the guitar and bass amps, making you best off with vertical tens. If you can get your guitar players into smashing themselves in their own face with small amps the game changes.

In extremis you can drop back to one sidewashing 2x10 up high for you and drummer and fall back on the PA. This works great for my bigband gigs when we're the backing band. When we are on our own billing I need 2x15 to be safe. 17 pieces makes a hell of a racket when wound up. TBH I don't know if I get cut out of the PA, unlikely outdoors but quite possibly indoors.
  19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

A pair of these will drive a hole through concrete. I had one until recently that was nearly too loud for most of my gigs. I must not play as loud as y'all, and I'm pretty liberal with the volume knob.
  20. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am currently doing a standing gig at a ~350 seat theatre. For the shows, I use 2 Aggie GS112s with a Thunderfunk 750A. Honestly, I could get by with one, we have excellent FOH and monitor support, and great acoustics. My cabs are mic'd. I just like using two cabs.

At the last show, our guest bassist, used one GS112 and an AG500. It was plenty!

It would really depend on PA/Monitor support, acoustics, type and size of band & volume of band, stage setup etc....

The band I'm in now, I couldn't see any situation where I would need more than 3x12s.