Lightweight rig for heavy music

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kügel, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Kügel

Kügel

Hey TB,

Since developing some back and wrist-related issues, I'm looking at putting together a smaller rig.

Currently I'm playing a 70s Fender Bassman through an EBS 410CL.

So I've been looking at these modern lightweight hybrid heads. MarkBass, Genz-Benz and Aguilar all seems to have what I need, but since I play in a rather extreme blackened doom/sludge band I need something that isn't just portable but also packs quite a heavy punch.

And, though somewhat unrelated, I'm looking buying my first fretless bass soon and it'd be nice if I could get some upright sounds out of it as well, though I realize this might be somewhat of a stretch.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think it's a stretch to want it to sound good with whatever bass you plug it into, regardless of what it is. Getting upright sounds out of an electric, though, is more a function of thinking and playing as an upright player would.

Anyway, it's rather obvious I'd tell you to check out the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro and PF heads, especially the PF800, but just try out whatever amps you can and seek out multiple demos of amps you can't try. Might not be as ideal as playing through them, but you can at least put together a short list.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I get good electric upright sounds with MB200. You might like a 500 or 800 and a couple of neo 2x12.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your budget and how loud do you need to be?

I would recommend a PF-800 and the biggest Barefaced Bass cab you can afford. Or if you are a DIYer a fEARful 15/6.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

Gallien Krueger 700RBII or GK 1001RBII. Super powerful and light weight.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: There are a few super powerful hybrid micro bass amps available - but the cabinet really determines how powerful/loud the sound will be. The point is - you'll still need at least your 410 cab to keep the heavy punch you want - so the overall rig (except the amp head) won't really be that smaller, it will still have the same foot print (or close to it).

With that said, also checkout the G-K Fusion amp.

Cheers

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Eh...

You can greatly decrease the size and weight of the cab with out sacraficing sound if you are willing to pay for it.

9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

If you're worried about weight, I'd think that you'd worry about the cabinet first, then the head. I note that you're using an EBS Pro 410, which is a decent cab, but heavy in weight as well as in sound. The EBS Neo 212 weighs 15kg less, and packs a lot of punch - slightly less power handling (600W vs. 800W), but 1db better sensitivity and 40Hz vs. 70Hz for the theoretical bottom frequency. I can carry mine one-handed (but don't, because it's awkward). In Belgium, you might be able to find a shop that has one in stock to try out - they're hard to find in the US. And of course there are other makes of lightweight Neo 212s out there, any of which are significantly lighter than the 37 kilos of your 410.

10. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    This^^^^

I've been real pleased with the Genz Benz Shuttle and Streamliner series amps, but since their acquisition by FMIC, their future seems to be uncertain.
    At any rate it's entirely doable to have a rig that will keep up with or outperform most 410's and weigh under 50lbs for amp and cab combined.
    And as far as nice upright sounds, a lightweight three way cab wil do that for you nicely.

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

OP is in Belgium. Best deals come from Thommann.

Heavy with 100w tubes can't be all that loud even with the 4x10.

12. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

My preference in lightweight amps is Markbass. The LittleMark II's can be picked up on the used market for a good price. They pack a serious punch, they're tough as tanks, and I like having the choice of neutral tone they're capable of.

13. xroads

xroads

It depends on money availability/sound preference:
    rg. heads: there are several powerful micro heads out there such as genz benz shuttle 9.2, tecamp puma 900, GK MB800, and Ampeg PF-800. They all pump out > 500 Watts at 4 Ohms, and are plenty loud.

rg. cabs: the new neo cabs have a great power/weight ratio. If you cureently play a 410 cab, you might wanna look into 2x 210 cabs, or 2 x 212 cabs, which are easy to carry around, and also get a power level similar to your current setup.

14. el murdoque

el murdoque

light, loud and cheap is not possible, you can only pick two.

My rig sounds nice in a doom/sludge band, it's an aguilar TH500 with two GS212 cabs.
    The amp so light you have to listen to one and then pick it up to believe it.
    But the cabs are over 30kgs each.
    Barefaced and fEARful will get you loud and deliver a punch but they don't come cheap.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yeah, for heads I'd say the TH-500 or Streamliner 900, for capturing old school tube vibe in a small package - cab choice is wide open...

- georgestrings

16. Kügel

Kügel

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm definitely going to save up for something good that I can keep for a long time. I think I can put a decent rig together with this info. Think I'll save up and head down to Thomann to try things out.

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, yep of course the OP could - but the point was/is, it won't be all that smaller in "size" - weight yes.

18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    No. My exact works.

It can be done.

19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

You're correct about it being expensive. But then again the OP hasn't said anything about replacing the cab (yet) - only the amp. ;)

20. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Um

This would imply cab as well to me.

21. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

So far in this thread the OP has only addressed the amp - however, I also think the OP should be thinking about looking into lightweight cabs too - but up to this point (so far) its been about amps.

EDIT: Anyway, have a good weekend. :)

Cheers,
    Joe