1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

LINCOLN GOINES Tone

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Type-55, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Any idea what rig Lincoln plays through on this video?

Saw him a few years back and he used the Epi 3x10
    but I don't see any Epifani logos unless they were removed.
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Love his playing and his tone. Can't make out the rig, but IMO and IME, the key to his tone (besides his wonderful overall technique) is that soapbar placed close to the bridge, passive bass, and digging in close to the bridge. The pickup placement, right hand position, and the passive design (edit: as posted below, I forgot that his bass has a preamp) results in that 'hear the windings on the B string' warm, punchy, articulate tone.

Any rig would do, quite frankly, but IMO and IME the 'scooped' tone profile of the EpiUL cabs would work hard against that tone. A 'tighter/brighter' cab like the Genz Benz NeoX112, etc. would get you there with a bass at least somewhat similar to what he uses. The closest to that particular Fodera spec bass that I've experienced is a relatively similar design and pickup placement offered by Pete Skjold (for a fraction of a fraction of the price).

IMO and IME!
  3. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Lincoln was a sadowsky endorser for the longest time, and he's now a fodera guy, and his bass has very little control compared to most of the pope equipped foderas. I think KJung's right on the money with the passive sounds, and the epi comment.
  4. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

That's his direct tone. It's not passive the pre is in a fixed position with internal pots.

The real question is weather that's his 33 or 34 inch scale bass. He has one of each.

Alain Mallet is a freaking genius. One of my faves.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How to get Lincoln Goines tone? Be Lincoln Goines.
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I remember that now. I would still recommend a passive design for those that dig that tone. As JimmyM points out, much is Lincoln, but that spec will at least give you a shot! I wouldn't think the scale would have a huge impact on the tonal performance of an instrument (especially the very small percentage scale difference between 34" and 33" scale), but pickup type and location would be pretty key.

+1 totally to your comment about most bass tones (especially in the jazz and pop categories) that we love on recordings are 'direct'. The key(IMO) is to find an amp and especially a cab that have at least a bit of that particular tone (whether you dig Anthony or Marcus or Lincoln or whoever) baked in, so that you have a rig that can most easily provide that basic tone profile in a live setting IMO and lots of IME.

Lincoln is just a magnificent player. His work (notes, feel and tone) on Bill Connors 'Resurrection' (I might have that name wrong, but something like that) is one of my favorite recorded bass performances on virtually every dimension. Amazing.
  7. Type-55

Not trying to be Lincoln Goines, maybe in my next life.
    Just admiring his tone and playing.
  8. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

9. Type-55

The Fodera I'm familiar with it was the amp cab combo in question.
    It might be a custom one off from somebody in NYC as well.
    Nice fat thick tone for fusion, but nice definition as well.
    Not my style of music but again admiring the playing and the tone. Recording process might be in there too.
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

+1
    I had the opportunity to hear Lincoln when he came to St. Louis with Dave Samuels. He was using his Fodera directly into the house SWR, with a 4x10, and running the DI from the amp into the house. He sounded just like Ken describes him, in his post above. It's a very nuanced sound coming off the instrument because of his ability to finesse each note. So his hands, ears and technique are able to get his signature sound, regardless of the amp he's using.

I think it's also important to note that Lincoln was, and is a Double Bass player, so that sound he's going for, has it's roots in his experience playing the Upright. This was also true of James Jamerson and many older players.
    I've seen Jimmy Haslip in the same club, with the same amp, get a totally different, but equally beautiful sound. Studio Road Warriors are so technically and sonically proficient, that the seldom worry about the amps they play through.

Ric
  11. Type-55

His phrasing has an upright influence for sure.
    His tone also has a upright sound but with nice definition.
    That's was partially what intrigued me when I saw the video.
    I agree about the amps these guys use. They have their sound regardless. It was just in this video that the tone really struck me.
  12. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp Supporting Member

at 6:25 (during the bass solo) it looks like an SWR combo behind Lincoln. Admittedly the video is not clear, so it's hard to tell. This supports the theory that tone is in hands of the player...
  13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Again, on most recordings, you don't even hear the backline.

As most realize, tone is in the hands, the strings, the bass, the amp, the DI, the recording console, and a lot of other things;)
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If there are live mics onstage, you do hear the backline, and you hear it more than you would expect.
  15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 It all mixes together, especially in more 'non professional' situations where you have guys playing too loud on stage, and also lack of hi passing on vocal mic's etc, to control at least a bit for that bleeding issue.
  16. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    USAF Band of Flight, Dayton, Ohio
    I agree. It looks like an SWR Redhead?

Anyway, great video and great playing. Lincoln Goines is one of my favs. He brings the flava and gets the job done! I aspire to do that....
  17. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

In another of the drummer's videos (he has 5) it clearly shows a Workingman's 15, a Countryman DI and a small stand that is likely a cab mic. It's on the 'Bowlegged' video about 1 min into it. Now the equipment is modest, but the skills are not.
  18. Type-55

I'm not sure what the purpose of the video was but it sounds professionally done. Close miked drums and low ambient noise level and perfect dynamic levels between each instrument. It almost sounds too perfect. IMO. But it sounds great. What auditorium did they record this in? At Berklee I assume?
  19. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Lincoln's bass is not a passive instrument. It is Active all the time. It is just that Lincoln had us do the preamp in a way that the tone controls are all on trim pots inside the back cavity...

He has exactly the same control as all other Pope equipped Foderas...just not on the fly. Kind of "set it and forget it."

Jason