Lindy Fralin J Bass pups . . .

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zfunkman, Feb 1, 2013.

1. zfunkman

zfunkman

I'm saving my money to build a Warmoth fretless J Bass. I've been going back and forth on if I want an active pre-amp on board, active pups or just going passive. Right now I'm leaning toward going passive.

I'm looking into Lindy Fralin pups but not quite sure if I want 100% vintage sound; are these pups trully vintage sounding with the same specs, sensitivity and output as an old jbass? Or are they an improvement that really do sound better? If they don't actually sound better then I'm thinking they may not be worth the price (they're pricey).

I've also heard about Semore Duncan Atntiquity II's or the regular Syemore Dunans.

I also play an American Standard J Bass, a Ric, and Modulus Q5 with active Bartolini pre-amp and Bartolini pups. I just want something a little different.

My pup decision is starting to be more overwhelming than I though it would be. Everyone's opinions would be appreciated.
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

they dont sound like old fender pickups. however, thats something most prefer. theyre less glassy with more grindy low highs and bigger low mids. its a hotter pickup than the average old fender.

any of those duncans or fralins will sound different than what youre used to in the american standard j bass. whether its better or not is up to you.
  3. zfunkman

zfunkman

Thanks for the info!
  4. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

I have have/had many pups Sadoasky, Nordstrand, Carvin, Bartolini, real 1962 Fender vintage, Aero, and Lindy is one of my very favorties. The description of Lindy J pups by Narud is on target. The original intent way back when (stated by Lindy Fralin himself) was to wind the pup just before it started to lose its nateral tone that J's they are known and not be too hot just because...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. murphy

murphy

The Fralins can sound vintage and phat.
    But can also do a brighter Marcus kind of funky growl and zing.
    They are such great pickups.
    I have the in my Marcus miller 5ver.....
    had them in all my Lakland Jazz 5vers
    and will get them for my Fender Am standard 5ver
  7. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

I think the best are Fralins and SD Antiqs. I have Fralins in my J, they're very dark and ooze mid-forward grind almost going overboard vs an original 60s J pickup. They're responsive and contain a lot of harmonic content. They're not for the modern scooped thing to say the least.
  8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

+1 There's a real bite to Fralin J-pickups combined with warmth. Quite distinctive and absolutely not scooped.
  9. damos

damos

Hello

Do you prefer Fralins over the vintage Fender ?

Thanks
  10. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I have them in my Lakland and was so amazed that I tried and fell in love with their P pick up too.

The most interesting thing to me is how the pick ups respond. Finger style sounds great and never sounds harsh. Very smooth. Playing with a pick gives you great upper mid grind and edge. Slap her and she will slap you right back. Extremely responsive to input.

The only weakness, weakness meaning good versus great, is for classic heavier rock. Had to go to Dimarzio J's to get what I was looking for there. And trust me when I say that I was picking nits.

That said, for my tone tastes , Fralins (run passive) meet 95% of my needs.
  11. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

I've tried a lot of J pickups, all of which were a waste of time and money compared to my Lindy Fralin 10% overwound Jazz pickups. Whether or not you want overwound, or how far you want to go with it is up to you. But I highly recommend the Lindy Fralin pickups.
  12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Fralin makes a good pickup, but they don't sound anything like like a vintage J. The Agilar is the closest to a real 62 pickup I've found. But for a fretless I highly suggest Bartolini's. I have them in my fretless running passive and they sound fantastic.
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

i dont prefer modern overwound (in comparison to vintage) pickups at all.
  14. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

modern overwound is an oxymoron :) as far as the Fralins, they're going to sound overwound whether -10%, 0%, or +10% i promise you that they're extremely hot.
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

modern in regards to manufacture date!
  16. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

The Fralin set I have in my 70's Jazz has a 5% overwind on the bridge pickup. The set is 7.5k (front) and 7.85k (rear). They sound pretty great. They're very "open" with a wonderful growling midrange.
  17. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

I like both the real 1962 j and the lindy's. The real 1962 neck pup had createred; I had Lindy rewind it to his standard winding specs and I like it a bit more. Lindy asked Jazz experts if they could go back in time and change the orginal pup, what would they want different or just leave it the way it was back in the day. This info. is from an old article in the 90's and they told him to give it a touch more juice. Lindy took their advice and made his pup not too hot as to change it into something else its not meant to be.