1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lindy Fralins 5 or 10% overwind?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

So my standard vintage jazz pickups in my road worn are killing me. No mids all mud and treble. Been looking at lindys for a while. Now I love my highs but this bass is just ridiculous. Should I go 5% or 10%?
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

the stock set will already be considerably more mid heavy than the stock pickups in a road worn.
  3. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I'd call lindy himself,leave a # and have him call you back.He'd be the best guy to answer your questions.If you are going to buy one of his p.u.'s he 'd be happy to help and maybe you'll be a repeat customer or pass on how helpful he was to you.
  4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

lindys can sound kinda scooped. why not just go for dimarzios
  5. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Supporting Member

Sounds like a Jazz bass. Buy a P. :bag:
  6. maturanesa

maturanesa

I dont think 5% to 10% of winding would make a big audible difference....
  7. ersheff

ersheff

I'm a j-bass playing p-bass wanna be.
    Which is to say that I haven't used my bridge pickup in years, and in fact when I installed my 5% overwind Lindy Fralin in the neck slot, I just disconnected the bridge pup altogether.
    I made a quick recording of the stock neck pup vs. the LF, and the LF definitely had more mids, tighter low-end, less brightness, and overall punchier sound. For me, that was exactly what I wanted, but I don't know how that compares to the regular wind.
    Now that I have a Tone Hammer 350 and Bag End S15-D, the mids are THICK and the bass is TIGHT. I love it, but I would be worried about going any further in that direction.
    Which is to say that through my setup, 10% might be overkil. BUT if you like more modern sounding amps/cabs, then the 10% might get you where you need it.
  8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Try wiring in series instead of parallel.
  9. Davo-London

Davo-London

I'm exactly the opposite. I was considering disconnecting the neck PU.

Perhaps you could sell me your LFralin Bridge PU???

Cheers
    Davo
  10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I did that a few years back too. I thought the bass looked empty with only one pickup, so I bought a pickup cover and lined the inside with aluminum foil. Now it looks like I have a neck pickup.

:ninja:
  11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    Mine don't sound "scooped" at all. I don't know where you got that impression.

This is my experience, apart from the less brightness comment. Even passive, with 250k pots, I roll my tone control back about 30%.

Forgot to add: My Jazz set has just the bridge pickup wound 5% over. I think it warms the bridge pickup up a bit, so it doesn't sound as harsh(?). Personally, I'm not a fan of the full on Jazz bridge sound, stock pickups or otherwise. I always mix the front pickup in to some extent.
  12. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

changes the balance of the mids to the treble and bass of a pickup, so yes, it can.
  13. david3821

david3821 Supporting Member

I have the same setup...fender rw jazz w/ stock fralins. Sounds awesome to me. Very punchy and much better than the stock.
  14. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

My Fralins are the furthest thing from scooped both on my P and J. My P is 10% overwound and it's extremely dark, full of high-mid grind, hot, responsive. Whether overwound or underwound with Fralin, I find they go well past what vintage P pickups sound like. I'm very happy with them. The darkness and grind that drips out of them reminds me of the tone on this, particularly the verse.

15. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

As Narud said, I recommend the regular Lindy's the have already plenty of mids and low end.
  16. John E

John E

If I recall correctly, the more you overwind it the darker it's gonna get. The +5% is perfect IMO.
  17. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

overwound adds mids and output while dropping highs. i would get them standard wound by lindy.
  18. ersheff

ersheff

Sorry, I only bought the neck pickup since I knew I wouldn't be using the bridge pickup at all.
    The stock bridge pickup is still installed in my bass (for looks), it just isn't wired up.
  19. dmusic148

dmusic148

Based on what you're after, I'd say you would be much, much happier with a P bass.....you really would.
  20. Davo-London

Davo-London

Ha ha. Thought I'd ask! ;)

Davo