Line 6 Bass Pod Pro

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scottman72, Nov 4, 2012.

1. scottman72

scottman72

Anyone have much experience with the Bass Pod Pro in a live situation? I've been using mine only occassionaly and have had a hard time warming up to it. I have not programmed any custom settings yet, only been using the preset ones. I was using it through a GK Backline 600 head but have recently purchased a QSC GX-3 power amp to power my cabs, a 200 watt GK BLX15 and a 400 watt GK BLX 410. I have not had much time to tweak this set-up, but so far I'm not really getting the tone or the power out of this rig I was hoping for. Anyone running a similar set-up with the Line 6 Pod? I would love to hear what anyones experience has been with it. Thanks!!
  2. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I have two rigs: One is my "little" rig, a Markbass Littlemark II into a Schroeder 1210L. The other is my "big" rig, a Line6 Bass POD Pro XT Live into a Crown K2 into a Schroeder 21012L. If I really need more than that, I can also run my 1210L off the other channel on the K2, and/or mic things and run into the house PA.

I *love* my Line6 stuff. I also have two Line6 Variax 5-string basses (one has a custom neck; the other is stock) and I use them in the studio, too.

Make sure you are using the correct setting depending on whether you're going to a power amp/actual bass amp with bass cab, or into a PA system. If you're going into a PA system (or direct to recording), you want to use the cab & amp modeling features. If you're going into a regular bass amp, you want to switch it over so it's bypassing all the cab & amp models and just doing effects-modeling, otherwise it will sound weird. If you're mixing & matching (going into a power amp, then into bass cabs), you'll have to go in and turn off the cab modeling, while retaining the amp modeling, with the saved settings you're using.

That is your problem, IMHO. It takes some time to find your tone with a Line6 unit. Remember, you are mixing and matching dozens of amps and cabs. Not all of them sound good together, and not all of them will sound good with your personal instruments and style. It's like buying the entire bass room at a huge shop and plugging into the first random rig you set eyes upon - not a great way to find your sound.

In my experience, you really need to be familiar with the quirks of the original amps and cabs you're modeling if you want to be able to dive right in and get a good tone. In the same way that someone who's accustomed to playing a Modulus can not pick up a Hofner and sound great right away - you have to change your technique quite a bit; they are totally different animals - you'll just need to spend some time with it. The tone is in there, but you have to know what you're doing, and that takes familiarity, which takes time.

As far as power, that is completely up to your power amp. The Bass POD Pro is just a preamp. Make sure the output is not turned down, but other than that, a GX-3 ought to be sufficient. If that's still not enough, try running your other output through the PA (if you're not doing that already) and using your rig as your stage monitor.

Hope this helps!
  3. scottman72

scottman72

Dave, thank you for the reply and I apologize it has taken so long to get back. Now......

You are correct it has just taken some time to get used to the Line 6 and all the factory "modeling" as they call it. I have found some basic settings and have been able to edit and tweak to come up with a few sounds that are at least usable......as I have not yet been able to edit in a sound that just makes me go....YES!!....as of yet. I'm still getting used to this thing though.

One thing I hadn't thought of when I purchased the QSC is that it's not bi-ampable. Which is a bummer because I'm using the two GK cabs. As of now I have been coming out of the Pod using the 1/4" model unbalanced" out to channel A of the QSC only. Is there another out on the Pod that will work going to channel B of the power amp? How do you currently have your Pod hooked to the Crown? Are you using the balanced D.I. out on the Pod to go out to the house PA? Still tweaking on this.......thanks for the patients!!
  4. clokwise

clokwise

Hi guys. I am thinking about picking one of these up on a local Craigslist for $100. Just the Pro version, not the XT. I mostly want it to have a handful effects at my finger tips and occasionally use the compression with certain basses. I don't plan on using the modeling at all. Is it worth it for that?

Thanks!
  5. Register to disable this ad