1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Line 6 LowDown LD175 Combo Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Vincent P, Aug 2, 2008.

1. I played with one of these today and it seemed like a good practice amp that would also work for some small gigs. I have not really heard to much about Line 6. Any input would be great.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Line 6 amps are, IMHO, a jack of all trades and a master of none. Got a lot of sounds, that's for sure, all of them very good, but none I've found are what I'd call great. I prefer an amp that does one thing very well instead of an amp that does 20 things pretty well. But don't let me throw a wet blanket on your tonal nirvana. It's a big enough amp to do small/medium gigs and would work well mic'ed or DI'd into a PA for larger gigs.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Thanks Jimmy. I've been looking at various amps and came across one of these yesterday at my local GC. Sounded decent enough when I played through it but, I really did'nt care for the effects.

When I asked about reliability, dependability ect...ect, I received no real answer that satisfied me. About the only thing that did was the sticker price $575 new. I figure for a practice small gig not that chunky of an investment.

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Nashville, TN USA
    Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use the LD150 as my home practice amp & I love it. The tilt back feature really works great in my studio/office.

I agree with JimmyM that you shouldn't expect it to sound exactly like the amps it is modeled after, but the LowDowns are great for getting more of a "real-world amp" sound while you practice. Most practice amps are far too clean & sterile and don't really let my effects "speak" like my LowDown does.

The built-in LowDown effects are rather limited, as you mentioned. The compressor is serviceable, however.

My LD150 isn't up to most of the gigging that I do (mostly larger venues). I have used it on a handful of acoustic coffeehouse gigs and a jazz trio gig & it was plenty loud. I have to say that these amps are surprisingly loud for the price point.

Just my experience, but I preferred the LD150 to both of the larger LowDowns. To my ears the smaller LD150 had better low freq tone. YMMV! You should try it out - unless you really want to gig with a louder band- in which case the LD300 might be the better option......

6. Hey Vincent, I have the Line 6 LD150 which is the model below the one you are looking at. I happen to like my LD150. while I may not use all of the settings on the amp, the ones I do use are quite nice. My favorite settings are Clean (plus any customization I may choose to my liking), R&B, Rock and Brit. I also like the chorus effect. For an extra $99 ($80 used at GC) I bought the FBV express foot controller, which also includes a wah/volume pedal. I find when I take the time to customize the settings my preference It sounds full and rich (basically punchy an deep).

For my the Line 6 is a good, solid, practice amp with a lot of bells and whistles. If it were the only one I had to use I'd be fine with it.

Good luck with your choice.

Lowdown 150
    [​IMG]

7. Ditto, I think that the LD150-300 is the right way to go. I don't think the LD175 is that much of a jump over the 150. The LD300 however my be well worth the investment (I've played one on several occasions while testing out the 6 basses I bought in store)

8. Thanks for all the input. Nice to have a utility like talk bass to get some real time, from actual bassist input.

I think I would perfer the clean sound as well, and as stated this will be 85% practice 15% small giging with a three piece, guitar, drummer session.

9. Well I picked this baby up, will post pics soon and it's turned out to be a nice all round amp.

This combo has enough kick for the small gigs (guitar, drums, sometimes a keyboard) to cut the mustard of a small area. Can be dialed down for practice solo or with accompaniment.

If your a geek like myself and take the time to read the manual, it's a pretty straight forward unit to use. The presets are ok but, with some experimentation you can dial in some sweet tones. I like the headphone and CD/MP3 jacks for practice.

Over all for the price, $575; It's a good buy.

Thanks to all for your input.