Line 6 M3, M5 or Zoom B3 or other??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scowboy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

I'm a church player and I use effects sometimes in moderation...

Here is my current set up:
    [​IMG]

On the MM4 I use one of the chorus models and I like it as much as any chorus I've used. I also use for one song we do regularly the Bias Tremelo where I strum a Em chord pretty hard for a few bars, the Tremelo model is where it does not always track well or not at all sometimes. I've also been known to use an Octave pedal when we've got no Lead guitar player as a thickener.

Thinking about a buying either a Line M5 or M9 or perhaps a Zoom B3 and ditching the tuner and MM4.

With those things considered anybody have any quick opinions one way or another. I like the price of the M5 and B3 but I could afford the M9 if it made that much more sense.

Let the slaughter begin...

Thanks peeps.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The TC is a good tuner and the Sadowsky is awesome.
    I first suggest switching the Line6 and the preamp. You will get more consistent input and this may be enough to get you rid of tracking issues.

If it's not enough, I suggest replacing the MM4 with a M5 that will provide both octave and chorus, as you wish.

A Zoom B3 or Line6 M9 would replace your whole current set of effects. Both are fine units, although you will lose the strum&tune function you get from the TC.

I see no need to bother yourself with a M13, considering the setup you're aiming at.
  3. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I had the M9 and sold it for a B3. The M9 is, IMHO, better suited for guitar than bass. The B3 is bass-specific, where the M9 has a couple of bass appropriate effects.

As a moderate and occasional user of effects, the B3 has been great for me and is the only pedal I have other than an A/B box. But then again I am not an effects purist...
  4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I do not own a B3 so keep that in mind with this post. The octave, modulations and delays on the M9 are really good. Reverbs are pretty good, and I can work with the filters, synths and distortions, but I have to work with them. My understanding from the B3 reviews and my past experiences with Zoom is that the pitch effects and modulations aren't going to be as good as the Line6, but the distortions/amp modelers will be better suited. If you can play both you should, obviously, but your preference will depend on your situation.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scowboy

Thanks. The Sadowsky pre goes with my 4 string passive bass. I don't use it with my Stingray 5H which is my main player. If I switched to the Zoom or Line6 Multi I'd keep it. Is the tuner on the B3 good?

The strum tune function on the TC is a novelty but I have never found it useful. It's just a great tuner though I'm not opposed to keeping it or getting rid of it.
  7. Swift713

Swift713

The B3 has some nice amp/preamp models plus drum machine, DI and headphone jack, which the M series lacks. The M series has somewhat better octave/pitch effects plus I like that Bias Trem (and the option of envelope control over its rate). I think the B3 has more bang for your buck but any multi will have its pros and cons.
  8. Swift713

Swift713

The B3's tuner is good. It also has a nice Sadowsky model among others.
  9. scowboy

Thanks. Leaning toward giving the B3 a whirl.
  10. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

11. onzki

onzki

@CharlieC: thanks for sharing your audio samples. B3 is on sale on my area this month (180USD), and I'm tempted to buy one though afraid that it wont produce good sound during live setup (di direct to PA).. Your recording sounds ok, is that from B3's DI? I like the aguilar, eden and gk simulation as well as the NR feature. I'm saving money for aguilar tone hammer, but B3's features seems irresistable. Would you highly recommend it? My only worry is how a digital effect like that would sound during live stage setup.

Thanks!
  12. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Thanks!

Those particular recordings were done via unbalanced 1/4" out, but the balanced XLR out is also capable of the exact same signal.

I use both the B3 and MS-60B live with great success, full details here:

Zoom B3 As Preamp

Cheers!
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I run the B3 in the effects loop of my Radial Bassbone, tuner out on the BB goes to a pitchblack. I also use an sfx mini mixer. I run two active basses (4 and 5 string) to the sfx and the to Channel 1 of the BB, my fretless goes to the channel 2 of the BB - that one has eq on it.

This lets me keep three basses wired and to gain balance between active and passive basses if necessary. I'm liking this setup!

The synth patches on the B3 rock.