1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Line 6 Variax bass electronics transplant

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xaxxat, Oct 17, 2012.

1. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

I just ran across a couple of videos on the Variax bass on youtube.

I'm hooked. I want to get the "guts" of one and transplant it into one of my medium scales.

I posted in the wanted thread but thought I might get as much response here as there.

Any advice, leads or info would be appreciated.
  2. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

Well, the routing is totally different on a Variax. No pickup routing, but it is cut out for the rather large circuit board, not to mention the piezo's. Different size and multiple output jacks, etc. You would either have to start with an uncut body or (depending on where you locate the electronics) cover the old routing cuts with an oversize pickguard.

I would think that it would be much easier to simply put an aftermarket medium scale neck on the original body and relocate the bridge.

Warmoth made the necks for the Variax guitars. Probably also for the basses, but that's speculation on my part.
  3. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

I found site where the Variax electronics were transplanted into another bass. There's a bit of routing involved but I have the tools and skills to do that. Dealing with the electronics will be no problem for me either. I like the bass i have now and don't want to change necks. A new neck will cost more than I have in the bass anyways. I just need to find the electronics now.
  4. line6man

line6man

Not true at all.
    http://www.exit45.com/VaxIV
  5. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

6. Turxile

Turxile

I wish Line 6 was selling just the Variax electronic package, in a form which could be easily added to most basses.
  7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

if you want to try it out on the cheap, an Ibanez GAXB150 32" scale bass neck will bolt on to a Variax bass. it's a quick, cheap and reversible mod. don't ask me how i know this.
  8. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

9. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Thanks. That's good to know.
  10. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

I'm coming to conclusion that buying a whole bass may be the best solution. Time to thin the herd and make way for baby...
  11. BassHappy

BassHappy

Hello

I am the guy referred to in one of the previous posts about the Line 6 Viola Bass I designed and had custom built. In addition to the link already posted, I put up my own link here:

http://www.innertainment.net/kennelldesigns.html

Hope this helps......

The basses are not cheap but if you keep your eyes open you should be able to find one. I sold the neck right away on Ebay but still have the body. If any Line 6 Variax guys need a new body - I have a black one from a four string in perfect condition. Still has the plastic on the pick guard. Message me.

BassHappy
  12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I had my Variax 5 string apart to repair it after a serious truck accident. There are two circuit boards inside the "coffin" case. The main CPU board is under 4X4". The controls are all mounted on a second board. Most transplants separate these boards, which are connected by a ribbon cable, and don't use the big coffin case. I was an authorized Line 6 repair tech, and I couldn't get the guts from one, although they did replace my very damaged control board. I had wanted to build a fretless, but finally realized I'd have to buy a whole bass to get the guts.
  13. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

That's some nice work.