1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Line in vs. Effects return

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pattyløve, Dec 16, 2013.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    What is the difference between a line in and effects return? There is a strange bass amp at a church i started playing at, I dont know what it is and its tone is very dismal. I intend on just running a tone hammer or sans amp through the power amp and by pass the preamp.

The amp has both a line in and effects loop with return. Which would be more suitable for me to plug into? Wil there be a difference. I will experiment this weekend but thought I'd just ask for a heads up.

Thanks in advanced!
  2. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Try both and use the one that sounds better.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

For a pedal, effect return should work better. Line in is set for line level devices such as mp3 players or keyboards.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Effects return on most amps is the same as a "poweramp in" and should bypass the internal preamp.