1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Line Out/Direct Out to Speaker Out?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thatjerseyguy, Jan 10, 2014.

1. thatjerseyguy

thatjerseyguy

Tons of threads all over about turning a Speaker Out into Line Out, but not the reverse

So I bought an Orange 100 watt bass amp which comes with a Direct Out & Line Out, but no Speaker Out. Is it possible to use a Direct or Line Out and convert it to a Speaker Out to add cabs?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No. Sorry.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. Just run the line out to a power amp, and the power amp output to the additional cab(s).
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

You can, but not without a major -non feasible IMO- surgery.

Quite a few amp manufacturers have adopted the "no-extension-cab" feature into their combo amps lately.
    Trying to go around that always means changing (or defeating) the internal speaker unless a series connection is made.

From their perspective it's a genious move, from the customers perspective not as much.
    Most combo amps in the lower price range suffer from quite a few inadequacies, enough IMO not to be useful in anything else than as-is (practice) use.
    That's a shame really, because even though I'm not particularily fond of combo amps, the Deltalite II modded SWR WM10 I sometimes use is an absolute killer for its size.
    I don't have a compact extension cab for it, but with that it would take care of most of my small venue gigging needs with a 4 string.

If You like the tone that the Orange gives you, I'd mate a plate amp with a cab of your choosing and use that as an active extension cab if and when you need more volume.

Regards
    Sam
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, it's best to let your smaller inexpensive combos like that be smaller inexpensive combos like that and enjoy them for what they are, as mods on them like your proposed idea are turning a silk purse into a sow's ear.
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

[​IMG]