1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

line-out into a second amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by grifo21, Aug 8, 2012.

1. grifo21

grifo21

im not sure if this has been asked before or if this is a stupid question, but is running a combo amp through the line out of a head/bigger combo a bad idea?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Nope it is called slaving. Usually from the effects send or preamp out on one amp to the effects return or power amp in on the slave amp. ;) Done all the time :)
  3. cflat

cflat

..as above as long as there is an out from the main units preamp...oherwise no..you can't run a powered line into other amp.Or you can just use a spliter of some sort with a line into the input of each amp.
  4. grifo21

grifo21

But what if the signal is coming from a different combo?
  5. cflat

cflat

That would be fine as long as the combo head has a 'preamp out'..ie an effects loop..or alternatively you could use the direct out if there is one...that would be an XLR as a rule, so you would have to have a cable that has XLR on one end and a 1/4incher on the other for the input of the second amp
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

I just use a splitter to send my signal to two amps, usually a bass amp or DI dialed for a clean, growly sound and a guitar combo with accentuated high mids and some grit if I want to get nasty. There is so much versatility using two amps, don't be afraid to experiment.
  7. grifo21

grifo21

Ok so its fine if the signal's from the fx loop but not if it's from the line-out, good to know because I dont want to kill one of my amps
  8. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

If your amp has a jack labeled "Line Out" that is most likely a pre amp out and will be fine to run that line out to your second amp. Just not a speaker out jack, that would screw up your second amp, maybe even both.
  9. cflat

cflat

As I said, a 'line out' which is usually an XLR jack or a preamp out from an effects loop would be fine..or a splitter if neither of those...just a simple 1/4inch splitter will do...
  10. grifo21

grifo21

My amp has outputs marke line out and preamp out, which one is it?
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Either should work, although the preamp out gets your whole preamp with EQ sent to the second amp, whereas the line out is just a pass-through that's unaffected by the preamp.
  12. cflat

cflat

use either one, but the preamp out will be a 1/4 inch jack, so easier for you..just use a guitar cable or patch cord to run into the other amp.
  13. grifo21

grifo21

They're both 1/4 inch
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Your first amp may go silent if using effect loop out. Line out is what you want. That goes to the effect return or line in of the 2nd amp.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I don't know that Jimmy is correct about line out being unaffected by the preamp. Maybe on some amps but not on mine.
  16. cflat

cflat

Depends on the unit...More versatile amps you will have a switch for pre or post EQ...without a manual and no pre/post, just crank the bass and see what happens on second amp.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, that's a good point. Not all heads are the same. Best to check the manual on your head to be sure.
  18. cflat

cflat

Jim Miller from FB here Jimmy..lol
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Awesome! Two of us on here now...all we need is to get the other 1000 bassists named Jimmy Miller on here ;)
  20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I've done that with a very small amp that is turned up all the way to get a nice level of distortion, then fed the line out into a more powerful amp to bring up the overall sound level. Works well. You can buy dummy loads with a line out built specifically for doing this.