Line out on 400rb for recording?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TJBass, Nov 25, 2013.

1. TJBass

TJBass

anybody done it? I'm trying to use the line out to a tascam board. when I set the levels on the board it sounds good thru headphones but the actual recording sounds like crap, really distorted. Should i give up on the line out and get an outboard DI? I really wanted the GK tone on the recordings.
  2. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I have had good results using nothing more than a mic cable direct to a M-Audio USB interface with my 400RB III.

It really seems that if you can get good sound from it to the mixer earphones then the problem isn't the line-out.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would revisit the setup. Line out to a high impedance input on the board. If it sounds okay with phones you may have the level too high in the main out of the board.
  4. TJBass

TJBass

Chainsaw, unfortunately I have an older 400rb, it has a 1/4 out only, no mic cable direct out. I should have lead with that I guess.

Bstring, I have lowered the gain and the recording level for that channel on the board but I get to a point where I have such a low signal recorded that I have no headroom to bring it up in the mix. so I either have no bass or distorted bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

Don't you need a DI box to convert to line level? I tried to record direct from my 1001 once and it sounded like a poo being done. Figured it was because I had no DI.

I'm all about Bass straight to Desk for recordings. These days you have far more control over a direct bass signal if you record it dry then compress and manipulate your tone with VSTs.
  7. B-string

Perhaps you have an impedance problem that the buffered phone out corrects. The line out on the 400RB is tapped from the poweramp. Perhaps a passive DI box would be the solution, line out to the instrument in on the DI and from the XLR to your desk.
  8. TJBass

TJBass

So the line out signal is affected by the EQ, Master and Boost settings and not the preamp volume settings?
  9. B-string

The Direct out on the 400RB is taken direct from the output so every control affects it. Maybe you should try the effects send instead? Effects send is post EQ but pre boost and master. While the boost sounds good going into cone speakers it might sound pretty nasty not being "filtered" by those speakers before being recorded.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Try setting the master on the amp lower?

Then set an LPF on that track to keep the Boost out of the treble.
  11. TJBass

TJBass

B-string, I'll try that this weekend, thanx for the help.

Will33. not sure what an LPF is, Low Pass filter?