Line out on amp to DI's line input or intstument input?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KlystronNoir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Line out on amp to DI's line input or DI's intstrument input?

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The Line Outs on my amps are unbalanced and made for plugging into things like multitrack recorders, so technically I guess you'd prob use the instrument input on a DI. What amp are you using? Should tell you in the manual if it's unbalanced or balanced.

Bigger question is why are you going into a DI from your line out?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly. But I'm guessing the reason is you want to send the preamp drive/EQ of your amp to the PA/mixer, and your amp either doesn't have a DI output, or its DI out is broken. If I'm right on those, then it makes sense to use the line out. And if you are sending a line out, then of course you would connect it to a line in.

But then we come to another question: what DI are you using, that has a line input?

I mean, there are such things, I use a Focusrite DI/preamp that has line inputs, but really that is pretty uncommon. So the original question is kinda weird.

4. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Well in playing an ashdown abm 500. and I want to send the preamp eq to foh.. the di is an ampeg SVT mic preamp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Doesn't that amp have the option to go post-EQ on the XLR DI? And it looks like that amp's 1/4" Line Out is made for connecting to other poweramps to drive more speakers, whereas the XLR DI is actually a balanced signal made for going to FOH.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah your best bet is to use a mic cable and connect the XLR out on the Ashdown to the XLR input on the mic preamp.

Also you may find that the soundman prefers the straight tone of the Ampeg without the Ashdown's EQ and preamp stage added on.