1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Line6 Relay G30 and WiFi interference

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by StuartV, Jan 2, 2012.

1. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I verified (to my own satisfaction, anyway) that my Line6 Relay G30 wireless setup kills my WiFi connection from my laptop. Just figured I would share this info, in case anybody cares (or can tell me that it shouldn't and how to fix it).

My regular practice setup now is sitting at my desk with my laptop in front of me so I can run SmartMusic to play along with it.

My setup is:

Linksys WRT54G wireless router a couple of rooms away

Dell Precision M4400 laptop with built-in wireless (Intel 5300, I think) and Ethernet connection to a switch under my desk that also has a Buffalo Airstation connected to the same router.

So, I can get to the Internet from my laptop either using the built-in wireless, or by turning off the built-in and plugging into the switch (which goes through the Airstation to the same router).

If I sit at my desk with my G30 transmitter turned on (and set for Channel 6 - I haven't tried any others yet), I lose the connection from my laptop and my Airstation to the router.

I verified this by running Speedtest on my laptop. I can start it with the G30 turned off and see it running, then turn on the G30 and the test stalls, then I turn the G30 off again and within a couple of seconds, the Speedtest picks back up and finishes.

This happens whether I'm going through the built-in wireless or the switch/Airstation route.

One good thing I can say is that the WiFi has no affect on the sound coming from the bass, through the G30, to my amp. I.e. the WiFi does not cause static or dropouts on the bass sound.

2. StuartV

Update: I just tested it using Channels 1 and 3 and it did the same thing. It doesn't matter if the G30 receiver is on. But, as soon as I'm sitting at my desk and turn on the G30 transmitter, it completely kills my WiFi connection.

3. ksandvik

ksandvik

Interesting. Have you contacted Line 6 tech support? If this is true it's a serious limitation. I could see some bars being where unhappy if their WiFi connection is disrupted. Might be the specific Wifi router itself, too.

4. StuartV

Nope. Haven't contacted them.

Educated guess is that my router is running on the same 2.4GHz frequency (more or less) as the G30. And it's probably only a problem if the G30 is within pretty close proximity to the laptop or Airstation. I have not experimented with how far away I can get before WiFi starts working again.

Realistically, I'll probably just go get a new Wireless router that works on 5.4MHz or whatever the newer Wireless-N uses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

My G30 dropped out the 3rd and 4th show I used it, and I never used it again. I got busy and didn't send it back. I can't possibly sell off a known issue, and I'm sure I have had it for over a year by now. I have read a couple of drop out posts here and there, but I haven't really found a difintive fix for the problem. I guess there ws supposed to be a writeup in Bass Player mag or something. Anyhow, I would assume that if you can drop your Wifi, another wifi can drop you. Changing to 5.4Mhz at home only fixed the problem at home, and you will have troubles sharing it with guests, etc. Do what I didn't, and contact Line6.
    Wes

7. StuartV

I've had my G30 for a while now. I have never had this problem before. But, I have a new laptop now (still the same router, though). I'll have to try it with my old laptop and since what happens.

If you feel like you can't use yours and you can't sell it, but would sell it to somebody who understands the issue (i.e. me), let me know. I love mine and would not mind having a second complete rig as a backup.

8. StuartV

I just tried it with my old laptop and got the same results. Even with the transmitter 10 feet or so away. Which is really strange, because before I moved from FL, I used to use this setup, with my old laptop right in front of me, all the time and never had a problem.

Anyway, word to the wise. If you're gigging and your band uses a laptop for sequencing or anything else, if it depends on a WiFi connection for anything (which is a bad idea in the first place, I think), you'll want to be really cautious about using one of these units at the same time.

9. ksandvik

ksandvik

Well, I would *never* use WiFi connections for gigs. USB cables.

10. StuartV

Yeah. I don't know why anybody ever would, either...

11. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Any G50 owners experience this? I am thinking of getting one of these but might be willing to pay the extra $100 for the G50 if it didn't have the same issue...

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser

Have to check it out later in the week when it gets sane(Tuesday = work + band, 4 hours sleep, work 8 hours, sleep 12 Weds PM). I have a G50.

The only interference issue I had was Channel 1 got runover by the wireless musak system in the Exxon Building(Petroleum Club) so I changed to Channel 2...problem solved. We have 3 wireless units at home here(son, daughter, & me) plus PS3 for Netflix is wireless. No problems yet from the G50(I use it when I practice at home), my desk PC is hardwired to a modem/router, my laptop is wireless.

I have not camped out right on top of my laptop though....that seems like a not smart thing to do...sorta like setting your amp up in front of neon lights or putting your bass in front of a CRT monitor. I'll try it later and check.

I would assume Line 6 has the FCC-required verbage somewhere(small print) in their manual somewhere that says "This unit may crater some other devices on the same frequency because we can" or similar.

13. dboomer

dboomer

Yes it can. It's all about distance and power. Wi-Fi rarely bothers us but since wi-fi is not a very robust system it usually loses when on the same channel. There's only so many cars you can put on the freeway at the same time.

Please take a look at our FAQ on the Relay customer support forum. There are some suggestions for channel management that should help. Some channel combinations work better than others. You can also switch a G50 or G90 to "low power"

As for notifying users ... it's all right there in your part 15 license for your wi-fi. You read it didn't you?:smug: Other things that slow up your wi-fi are your neighbors WAPs, other computers you have in the room and your microwave oven. Even funny wiring in your house can cause it.

All part 15 devices (line 6 Relay included) are susceptible to interference from other part 15 devices.

Don Boomer
    Line 6, inc

14. StuartV

Final update: I went and bought a new wireless router today that does 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously.

I configured my laptop to connect to it on the 5 GHz band and it works flawlessly, even with the G30 right next to it. My other WiFi devices at my desk (cell phone and tablet), which are connecting to the new router using the same old connection info (including, on the 2.4GHz band), still get knocked off the air as soon as I turn the G30 on.

/research :)

15. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

Just left the Line 6 Community/Forum/Support site. I am thinking of buying a G30 to use at my gigs.

But there seem to be alot of folks having issues with major signal drop at gigs and more oddly battery door latch issues, :meh: that keep these units from functioning well. Of course considering the many thousands or more units of these sold, the complaints maybe minimal. But they're all very similar issues.

Or maybe like some amps/cabs/other gear, there coulda been a big batch of bad units that got manufactured and released for sale. Again just not sure what is causing these Line 6 units their issues.

And I'm not real informed on how all the WiFi signal, etc works with different electronics. Heck, I finally replaced my years old Dell modem with a new AT&T wired/wireless model after having issues with my home PC here, works great again.

So this question may seem very ignorant but here goes: We gig alot of sports bars that advertise WiFi for customers or just Wifi available. Might this interfere with a wireless unit like the G30 if I was to use it at such a venue? :confused: I stopped reading at page 3 on the Line 6 site. But I'll go back to read up more on the issues and I'm doing searches here on TB, Live Sound, Amps, Effects. I'm finding many posts, good and (quite a few) bad news on the Line 6 models in a few threads here. Thanks for any replies, they're appreciated.

16. StuartV

2 things:

1) I have never had any kind of dropout with mine. The G30 killed my WiFi connection, but the WiFi has never affected the G30 signal.

2) The battery door is a little tricky. The door latch can hold it (for a while), even when it's only halfway engaged. I think that is the source of people having issues with it popping open. You have to push on the battery door firmly. The battery springs are a bit stiff, which is good. If they weren't, vibration or shaking could cause the batteries to move around and momentarily break their connection. When I change batteries on mine, I make sure to push firmly on the battery door, and to visually inspect the latch and push on it a little with my thumb if I have to, to make sure it's out all the way. I think if everybody did that, nobody would ever have a problem with the battery door popping open.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I just tested my G30 with the WIFI on my laptop. I have an HP G60 with an Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter. No effect whatsoever to the WIFI or the G30. Ran speedtest and checked the signal strength. Even went as far as putting the transmitter on top of the PC. Nothing. :meh:

18. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I have yet to buy a wireless but have been recommended the G30 and G50 over and over. This is the only thread I have found that tackled the "cons" of ownership of the Line 6 G series. Any more owners care to share positive (or) negative experiences with the product line? They seem to be the most recommended set-up for wireless recently and so I am looking for first hand experiences. I am somewhat more interested in where it doesn't work or product limitations in a night club/bar setting. Sports Bars or clubs with Wi-Fi are definitely in my future so should I get a wireless at all or will the G series work reliably in a bar with Wi-Fi?

19. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

Well I bought a G30 refurbed but advertised as new system in March 2012. I've only used it a 3 gigs so far or tried to.

The first time I had some brief dropout at a popular Houston blues venue. Just very brief but I noticed it twice; I was about 2' from my rig. I removed it and used my inst. cable after a few songs into the first set; just to be safe.

Second gig a couple weeks ago seemed to work fine first set. Batteries died and of course my sound went dead immediately. I had only been using it around my house practicing alone. But of course these were the included batteries that came with the system. Seems I got maybe 3-4 hours of use total, not used all in one nite. Went to a inst cable cause I did not have extra batteries with me.

I wondered what happens when batteries get weak or go dead? Seems there is no audio warning, like distortion/breakup, etc. The battery light on the trans glowed blue til it went all dead; so no fore-warning to my eyes of weak batteries.

This past Saturday, I had new batteries in the trans, tried it a my house before I left, worked fine. I got to the venue a big semi-outdoor hanger-like biker bar. It was half-covered with a very tall, metal roof with steel girters (sp?) and a wood, carpeted stage. Right when I turned the G30 on, the AUDIO red light stayed on on the reciever. The transmitter showed a bright blue batt light, the signal light flashed on the trans and reciever like I was getting a signal thru but no sound at all. I turned it off checked all cables, etc. The RED AUDIO light stayed on constant.

Our singer later hooked up his wireless mic and it worked well. I'm not sure what caused me to get this red light but I could not do anything to get it to work. I asked venue owner and he said many bands use wireless on this stage with no issues. Not sure what happened to mine. I've not messed with it again, still in gig bag. I need to dig it out and try it again. Hope it does not just work great here my home, that's not where I need it to work.
    We'll see.

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I've used my G30 at about 5 small - medium club gigs with no dropouts at all. The furthest I have been from the receiver is about 30 feet or so. With outdoor season coming up there will be more tests.

21. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

just hooked the G30 system up here at home to my practice rig. The audio light(s) now flash yellow for each note I play. Haven't seen the red AUDIO light lit up like I did at that venue this past weekend. I just re-read the manual, guess if I could seen the transmitter while clipped onto my bass' strap I mighta notice the flashing red lo batt warning light. It kinda of sits hidden from my eyes when its on bass' strap.

I just went to the online LINE6 registration site. It wont accept the SR # I'm typing in. I'm just copying what's on the side of the box. I wonder what refurb took place on this one I bought? Shoulda just bought a new one outright. But agian, seems the system is working here at home once again. Guess I need to check the FAQ's on Line 6 site, might find somthing there.