1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Listening Habits Analysis

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by socialleper, Feb 11, 2014.

?

My listening and buying habits of music are as follows

1. I am over 45 and within the last year have purchased new music released in that same time period.

17.4%
  2. I am under 45 and within the last year have purchased new music released in that same time period.

34.8%
  3. The music I most commonly prefer was produced when I was between the ages of 5-15..

8.7%
  4. The music I most commonly prefer was produced when I was between the ages of 15-25.

27.5%
  5. The music I most commonly prefer was produced when I was between the ages of 25-35.

7.2%
  6. The music I most commonly prefer was produced when I was between the ages of 35 or older.

7.2%
  7. I listen to music from many different time periods.

71.0%
  8. I am over 45 and DO actively seek out new music to listen to.

18.8%
  9. I am over 45 and DO NOT actively seek out new music to listen to.

5.8%
  10. I am under 45 and DO actively seek out new music to listen to.

47.8%
  11. I am under 45 and DO NOT actively seek out new music to listen to.

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. socialleper

socialleper

I want to do some analysis of the listen habits of people on TalkBass as it relates to their age. Check off all answers that apply to you. Please try to answer honestly.
  2. elgecko

elgecko

I'm 42 and do not actively seek out new music to listen to. I DO accidentally run across newer stuff I like and listen to. For example, I recently discovered Tallest Man on Earth and I was elated when Gin Wigmore's new album was made available on Spotify.
  3. socialleper

socialleper

How did you find out about Tallest Man on Earth? Was it something that played on a streaming "station" or was suggested by a merchant website like Amazon, etc?

For Gin Wigmore, are you a fan of this artist, but in a passive way that you don't actively look for new releases by her? Is that common for you?
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I'm 40 years old, and I listen to music that was recorded way before I was born all the way up to new albums released recently. I will admit that many of the newer releases in my collection are more like jazz than rock, but we're still talking about modern, cutting-edge stuff like Donny McCaslin, The Bad Plus, Avishai Cohen, etc. But I've also been listening to a lot of Rubblebucket lately, as well as re-discovering some math- and post-rock stuff like Hella, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, etc. So I think I do a good job of keeping up for an older guy. I certainly don't, as a rule, sit around listening to the same stuff I was listening to 20 years ago. But I also have a few obsessions with older artists: Zappa, Zorn, Miles, Muddy, Mingus, Robyn Hitchcock, Bobby Dylan, Bobby Marley, classic hardcore like DKs and Black Flag, classic soul from Motown, Stax, etc....
  5. elgecko

elgecko

Let me start by stating that I stopped listening to current music in the early to mid 90s. That's about the time I started playing bass and listening to blues, jazz, and classic rock.

Anyways, I was recently flipping through my favorite stations on satellite radio and stopped on what sounded like a Bob Dylan tune I'd never heard. A scan of the metadata showed it was 1904 by Tallest Man On Earth. I checked them/him out on Spotify and found out I was a fan of his most recent album, not the earlier stuff so much.

The season 6 closing episode of Weeds had a song that I wasn't sure was was old or new, by a chick with a weird voice. Some Googling indicated it was Hey Ho by Gin Wigmore. I think that was before I started using Spotify so I Youtubed her and became an instant fan, making a Gin Wigmore station on Pandora. I later heard a new tune of hers in the trailer for a Bond movie and that's how I found out about her upcoming album which I eagerly awaited.

My Gin Wigmore Pandora station introduced me to other artists I became fond of like Jaymay and Ingrid Michaelson. As I listened to these artist on Spotify, new albums would pop up and I'd give them a spin. I wasn't necessarily looking for new artists to like, it just happened.

Here's another, about ten years ago, a coworker kept raving about and bugging me to check out these new albums by the "New Bob Dylan". The only reason I relented was that Emmylou Harris sang tons of backup on one of the albums and I love Emmylou. The albums were I'm Wide Awake it's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn by Brights Eyes. I turned out to be a fan and even bought his next album in 2007. For some reason, I stopped looking forward to new material and didn't even hear about his subsequent albums until I started using Spotify later.

I'm not sure what to make of my listening habits but I have found a lot of stuff I like via Pandora and Spotify.
  6. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Im the only under 45 so far who does not seek out new music...

The thing is that's a half lie, i did it late last year. Looked at best records of 2013 lists But i hadn't done anything like that in years. (found nothing i liked either except one record i already had, the only record i got in 2013, the only 21st century record i got in about 5 years in fact..keep in mind when i say got i mean dled illegally, id rather support a band any other way, they're on a major, their cut of the record sale is probably ludicrous, i'll support them live next time they come).

For some years i would seek out music and it was a waste of my time as i just tended to not like anything. I'd listen to excepts of like 20 records people i knew, people similar to me, liked and i'd like none of them. I gained quite a repuation among people who know me as the guy that just doesn't like anything.

Here's the thing i noticed throughout my life, the music which i like will find me. Sure I used to seek out music as a teen and early adult ("formative years") because that's just what you do and in fact came to most bands i like by myself, but for nearly ten years now, i listen to the same stuff i have and once in a while will add a band to this. And how i come to be exposed to these bands is just kinda pure chance really. So i dont seek out new music. But sometimes it finds me. Usually down the line it finds me.

Also, the music i listen to was generally released between age -1 to 7. Sometime stretches to about 12. But generally, -1 to 7.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Under 45 and I listen music from all time periods and I'm always interested in finding something new...whether that's current or old I don't care. Good music is good music.
  8. jay tay

jay tay

I'm 33 listen to music from different time periods (mainly from before I was born, but listen to current new music, and music from throughout my life). I actively seek out new music all of the time!
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm near the cusp, age 43. Up to around age 30 I was a fiend for all kinds of music and sought out "new new" and "new old" music all the time. Then a dozen years went by where I basically stopped listening to music altogether. I can't really explain it, but I think it was a sort of music depression in me. Then just over the last year I busted out and have been avidly seeking new-to-me music, from all eras, and listening almost every day, subscribed to Pandora and Spotify, and going to shows a few times a month. Call it "midlife crisis", I don't care, it feels good.

Just saw Moonspell in concert a couple nights ago. *devil horns*
  10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Over 45 and seek new music. Love the stuff from my youth although I cannot listen to some of it anymore due to it being waaay overplayed over the years (Stairway & Freebird anyone?) Tried listening to and getting into different genres throughout the years but always come back to Progressive Rock stuff old & newer.
    It's been noted by psychologists that the music you listened to at age 14 defines your musical tastes for much of your life. I agree to a point. Some music can be "grown out of" as you get older...
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I am WAY past 45 and I am always looking for new music.
    I go to shows where most of the people there are young enough to be my kids or even grand kids.

I've listened to music my whole life but can only take so much of the old stuff.
    I may be old but I will never be a stuck in a rut old guy.
  12. Timmah

Timmah

I am under 45 and listen to (and seek out) music from many different periods. However, I most commonly prefer music that was released when I was between -30 and -10 years old. Furthermore, the music that I have bought in the last year is comprised almost entirely of music reminiscent of the aforementioned time period (Gov't Mule etc.).
    Good Luck with your Survey.
    Sincerely,
    An Outlier
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I am over 45, and even thought I consider myself a bit out of touch, I am constantly finding all kinds of music from all eras that I didn't know about before and like.
  14. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

I'm 41 and love all kinds of music and actively seek out new music all the time. Sometimes, the music is just new to me but there are some current bands. I seem to go through phases where I'll listen to the one type of music almost exclusively for a few months and then I'll move on to one of the other genres.

Growing up, as a teenager, I was mainly into Metal (Iron Maiden, Scorps) and Heavy Alternative/Punk (Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins, DRI, Misfits, Minor Threat) In my early to mid 20's I mixed in a lot of Jam Bands (Grateful Dead, Phish, WSP) and Trad Jazz (Coltrane, Monk, Miles et al). As I've gotten older, I've added in a lot of Smooth Jazz and Stoner Rock (you probably don't see that combo every day) and I've found that if it has a good bass line and/or loud guitars, I'll probably like it.

I've never really be able to get into the really extreme variations of metal and that's mostly due to the vocals. I just don't care for the tone of the growls. I get why they do it but it's not for me. Now in my 20's, I probably would have liked it. About as heavy as I get these days is Mastodon and Sevendust.
  15. socialleper

socialleper

Give The Sword, Witchcraft and Graveyard a try. Heavy and retro, but not annoyingly so. Plus clean vocals.
  16. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Yeah, I dig all three of those bands and actually saw the Sword recently opening for Clutch. Great show. I dig the Stoner Rock sound since it reminds me of classic hard rock.

I guess I should have clarified that when I said "heavy" I really was referring to the new extreme metal and not bands like you mentioned, Clutch, Orange Goblin, Black Sabbath et al which are certainly heavy but with more of a retro vibe. I really dig that kind of heaviness but when it gets really fast and with the growling vocals, I lose interest and my wife won't tolerate it for a split second. :)
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

You're missing a category:

"The music I most often prefer was produced before I was born."
  18. Basshappi

Basshappi

I will soon be 50.
    I listen to a wide variety of music but am most attracted to the classic rock, prog and jazz fusion of my youth or music that sounds like it.
    I do not listen to the radio very often and find most new music through YouTube or from recommendations on forums such as this one.
    I buy music in CD/DVD form and much prefer this to individual song purchases.
  19. socialleper

socialleper

I didn't include that one considering most people on TB have only been alive a fraction of the time humans have been producing music. Its also a highly biased question since the younger someone is, the greater chance there is of that happening.
  20. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I don't follow. Are you not interested in the listening habits of young people, or are you not interested in the listening habits of people who prefer music produced before the 20th century?