Literally no lead singers around?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invader3k, Jan 3, 2014.

1. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

(I posted in another thread about how we had a singer lined up, then he bailed on us..."Telephone Conversation I Just Had" was the thread title...we have upcoming paying gigs on the calendar).

We auditioned another veteran lead singer last night. Awesome guy. Very cool dude, with a GREAT voice. I mean, this guy would be the best lead vocalist I've ever played with, by a mile. He's coming off a 10 year stint with a well known cover band in this area. He and the other guys simply got tired and burnt out, and amicably decided to call it quits.

Anyway, his audition went great (as expected). Said he liked us and likes our set list. Sounds good right?

Problem is, he's not sure if he wants to do another band right now or not. He's contemplating doing solo acoustic shows. I can't blame him at all, and get where he's coming from. He did say our local and relatively light show schedule was appealing to him. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed.

I was perusing the local craigslist and other area musicians classifieds this morning. There are LITERALLY no "lead singer available" postings at all. Not even "I'm a total newb looking to join my first band" type posts. Nada, zip, zilch.

I feel like if this guy says no to us, we may be screwed for right now. We'd have to go back to being a three piece hack garage band for the time being, which I'm dreading. Fingers crossed.
  2. Comrade Momenta

Comrade Momenta

Yeah pretty tough situation you got going there. In my cover band I was lucky as I knew our singer beforehand but finding a suitable replacement for her would be pretty hard.

Do you go to church? I know a LOT of singers at my place of service. Whether or not they fit your standards is totally up to you but that would be the best bet in your situation.
  3. invader3k

Hmmm...yeah, I'm in a good church. I just can't think of anyone there off hand that would be a fit. Our style of worship is still pretty traditional (congregation sings with organ accompaniment). Might have to start looking at some "alternative" type ways of recruitment like that, though, if this guy turns us down.
  4. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Maybe have some other member of the band also call your reluctant prospect and throw him a low-key sales pitch.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. invader3k

I don't think that's necessary. I get where he's coming from, and don't want to come off as desperate or pushy. He said he'd call me in a couple days to let me know either way, and I'm going to respect that.
  7. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

OK, I was thinking a *really* low-key approach might help but sounds like you've got a better feel for the situation. Hopefully he'll answer in the affirmative.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

I'm in my first band for a few months now, and finding out just how difficult it is to find the right singer. Everything else is in place. The ad responses have been many, but few follow through (flakes) or are as good as they think they are (LeadSingerDisease). There is a HUGE talent pool here .. it's just a matter of making the connection. We're also trying friends of friends, and scouring some open mics. Our drummer also suggested posting flyers where music instructors give lessons.
  9. duff beer

duff beer

I'm fortunate enough to be in 2 bands that both have good singers....and neither one suffers from lead singer's disease. They both show up early and help load gear, and they both stay until the last piece of gear is loaded after a gig.
  10. invader3k

Good point. Sometimes talent doesn't accompany other quality attributes.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Singers are the hardest band member to find.
    A lot of would be singers but very few can carry a night
    or know where the One is.

Good luck, it's always a constant struggle.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Here's what I would do. Get back up with the guy who auditioned and tell him that you are willing to work with him and let him do some acoustic shows as well as be in your band if he wants. I think flexibility will win him over.
  13. millsbass5

millsbass5

Good vocalists, and, good drummers. That's what's so hard to find. And, for some damn reason, a good vocalist knows that. And, due to knowing so, the majority can be stricken with LSD (Lead Singer's Disease). Damn, I'm so lucky to be hooked up with 2 (two!!) great vocalists. I remember back in the day playing in some really, really tight lineups, and the only missing link was a great singer. If you do find a good one, you better hold on loosely, but don't let go.....:D
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    For real, finding a good lead singer (or any singer really) can be incredibly difficult. I'd say in a rock band it takes a decent amount of charisma to make that happen as well...don't want someone who just stands around up there doing nothing.
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. Is this the vocalist that call you on the phone only 20-30 minutes before rehearsal to cancel?
  16. invader3k

No, of course not. Why would you think that?
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go to a bunch of karaoke shows; find anyone who sounds good and actually engages the audience. Use them to get by until something better comes along; you may be surprised; they could end up being "the one."
  18. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Ahh, Vocalists. My constant struggle. I have cried through more Karaoke nights and Open Mic's looking for vocalists than I care to remember. Our current guy is excellent and plays a mean lead guitar a well, but we went through at least 20 auditions with one "well, she's alright" out of the bunch of them before we found him.

I was stunned at how consistently bad most of them were. And I can count 3 of them who owned a microphone and only one that had anything that resembled their own amplification (powered monitor for himself).

Wish I had an easier way of doing things. Just keep looking, give everyone a half hour shot. Worst case scenario, you're no better off than you were before. Make sure you post an ad looking for a singer. I find there are a lot more Craigslist stalkers than there are Craigslist posters. If you post an ad, they will come. Just be ready to spend the time to separate the wheat from the chaff.
  19. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

I found your new lead singer.

Walk into the bathroom. Look in the mirror.

You're welcome.

(seriously)
  20. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Where are you looking? If its just craislist and backpage, it's your fault you are not finding singers. Call agencies. Goto open mic nights.
  21. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay, I was just checking - thank goodness for that.

Then, I think "Two fingers" suggestion is a good idea and worth a try.
    And "mellowinman" suggestion of hitting some karaoke shows, along with "Hapa" suggestion of hitting some open mics and calling agencies is worth a try too.

Good luck.