1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Little Baby's Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Nov 4, 2013.

1. line6man

line6man

2. Ironbar

Ironbar

You may not be on drugs, but the people who made the commercials were!

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Maybe it's just my love of bizarre things, but these commercials have so many great qualities, in my book.

First off, they are totally non-sequitar, yet they still advertise the actual product. I have seen far too many commercials that don't really advertise anything. From Ben and Jerry's, I would probably expect "lifestyle advertising" or a lame joke.:hyper:

Second, the ice cream guy grabs your attention instantly! If I saw this on TV, I would drop what I was doing and watch.

Third, you get a strong emotional response from watching it. It's terrifying and disturbing, but that's better than feeling indifferent, or chuckling for two seconds, like with most commercials.

Fourth, the Droste Effect (the visual recursion) in the first one is just cool.:D

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Horrible commercials, IMO. Definitely did not make the product appealing.

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

I won't disagree with that, and I can see some potential for certain products. Doesn't apply so well to food though does it? Does the commercial actually make you wish you were made of ice cream or want to take a bite out of the guys hair or head? Eww!

Now maybe if you had a commercial for some shoes that were somehow so great all your friends were puking from jealousy, and you had people slipping and falling in vomit slicks all while laughing like children all sugared up at a birthday party... I could see that kind of bizarro thing working, but not for food products.

9. line6man

line6man

You are correct that this doesn't work well for food products. That's the one issue with it. However, I know that advertisements are not a reflection of reality. If I buy the overpriced vodka, I won't end up at some trashy nightclub party, like the commercials suggested, so a disturbing commercial shouldn't change my perception of something, either. The advertising just gives me a reason to like or dislike a company, and then by extension, want or not want their product.

10. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I'd eat their ice cream in a heartbeat. I also note Eraserhead as one of my favorite movies. I like strange.

11. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I agree 100%

13. MatticusMania

I like strange as well. Thing is, these commercials really arent strange at all. Theyre just trying to be, and for me, they fall short.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

But there is no doubt that you will remember their product now. I did. So the advertising did it's job, and well.

15. MatticusMania

Thats not quite so. Outside of this thread Little Baby Ice Cream has not once crossed my mine.
    And even if I did happen to think of it elsewhere, what good does remembering their product do the company if I have no intention of ever buying or speaking of it?

16. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

I don't think Bluebell could keep up with that type of edgy material.

17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Not really. If I see it in the store, I'll cringe as I remember that commercial. In product marketing, not all publicity is good publicity.

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Maybe not you specifically, but people as a whole will be more apt to trying it. Especially when they see it in a store, they are primed and their bell rings.

20. MatticusMania

That doesnt make your point though. Its a commercial, of course for those who have seen it it will ring their bell, and those who were not put off may be more apt to try it.
    However, those who were put off by the commercial are likely not going to try it. Successful advertising is about much more than just getting your product remembered by people.

21. Immigrant

Immigrant

That's all that counts. Time passes though. I remember Ernest (Jim Varney) but I can't remember what he was pimping.