Little but powerful ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Arkhon06, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Arkhon06

Arkhon06 Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

I plan to replace my rig because of size issues.

Currently, I have a Tecamp head (black jag 900) with a GK 410mbe cab (800w 8 ohms). Despise the average quality of the GK cab, I'm satisfied with the sound and power (I use around half of the amp's power) but it takes too much place in my little room.

I'm looking for a combo (or little head+cab) to replace that, without losing power. I play in a doom/stoner band, we play quite loud and low (b tuning), so I want something that can fit both rehearsales and gigs in little places.

I've seen the orange tb500c combo (it's a Terror bass 500 head + a sp212 cab). Anyone has this model ?
    Other suggestions are welcome !

Thanx
  2. The Monk

The Monk

I bought a Mesa Venture 600 combo with a 15" when I got tired of carting around my SVT. They also came in a 212 version. Manageable size, kicks butt and sounds great. Had lots of complements on my tone. You can usually pick them up for a reasonable price, under 1k. I think the whole thing weighs just slightly more than the SVT head did.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/Venture/Venture.htm

Good luck with your search!
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

What about a fEARful 12/6/1 or a Barefaced cab ?
    When you're playing stoner/doom, there usually is the need for huge lowend against a loud drummer - if so, don't sacrifice too much speaker surface if you don't have satisfying PA support.

The fEARful and Barefaced cabs have a reputation of being a lot louder than normal cabs at the same size.

When i went from 4x10+115 to 2x212 (aguilar GS cabs with Tonehammer 500 top) i suspected that i can use a single 212 for most of the time and only use the full stack when there is a need for lots of power (or the need to show off), but i found myself packing the second cab more often than not. Especially in our rehearsal room, that is not really perfect for bass ampification, i'd be lost with a single 212.

The Orange Terrorbass 500 is a top you might want to look at. Insane Power while small and light.
  4. Arkhon06

Do you think this combo would do the job ?
    https://www.orangeamps.com/products/bass-guitar-amp-combos/terror-series/terror-bass-500-bass-amp-head/

I also had great feedbacks for the tone hammer 500 + cab but it's quite expensive here in Europe (and almost no used)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I definitely dig those Orange combos. They are on the heavy side, and somewhat unique tone, but if you like what they do, they're pretty fun.

Probably the most impressed I have been by a truly small combo in terms of great tone at high volume are the AER amp one and amp three combos. Great stuff! They take a bit of tweaking, but can really deliver, IME/IMHO. Of course, they ain't cheap...
  7. Arkhon06

I love Orange sound :bassist:

I just want to be sure this combo is loud enough for rehearsal and gigs in small venues.

Of course, I don't expect it to sound like a 8x10, but I need a bit of low end considering the kind of music I play.
  8. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    With the isobaric loading, that combo really will not be any louder than a good 1x12 combo. That being said, it does have some advantages with regard to reproducing deep, powerful lows (which some 1x12 combos may struggle with). It is worth noting that the class-D heads (and combos) from Orange have performed very well in our bench tests (Bass Gear Magazine), so the amp side of that equation is very strong, indeed.
  9. Arkhon06

Ouch, you think I'll lose much "thickness" compared to the 4x10 GK ?
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Sp212 has a tone of its own. That said the isobaric design doesnt have the volume I would want in a stoner doom band. It is going to have the same volume output as a single fullrange 112.

IMHO I am not sure you are going to meet your volume needs with out going to a pretty high end cab.
  11. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    That Orange combo has a super thick tone. You'll get more volume from the GK 4x10, of course.
  12. el murdoque

el murdoque

CL400Peavey has it right.

If you want small, light AND loud, you can not go cheap, you'll have to get a really good cab.
    I'd say that for stoner/doom a really good 212 is _just_ enough.
    So an isobaric 12 might not suffice.
  13. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A Super Compact should do a pretty decent job, might actually do more bottom than the OP's 4x10"! For doom I'd use two but one would be fine for rehearsals and smaller spaces.
  14. Arkhon06

I'll check Barefaced cabs. Thanx !
  15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are in the EU they are a very good option. If you are stateside, there may be other options that you should check out as well. The list I would suggest:

Barefaced Bass
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    greenboy Designs/fEARful/fEARless
    Baer Audio

There are lots of options out there, the ones above are a cut above the rest in my opinion, and all have their own tonal flavors.
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The Barefaced Super Compact is expensive (expressly after shipping to the USA) but never hearing one I'm not so sure it will really out perform a G-K 410MBE - so I highly recommend A/B comparing them before spending big bucks.
  17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP: Boutique cabinets are expensive - so before throwing down a lot of money for one I highly recommend A/B comparing them with your G-K 410MBE cab first because they really my not be worth all the extra cost.
  18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I think Barefaced still has the return policy. The previous gen Super 12 (2x12) kept really easily in a ridiculous grind band, the next gen one handles more power I think, so should be fine. I use a pair of super 15s, but mostly because I only use 150w across 2 amps.
  19. Arkhon06

Yeah the barefaced cab is quite expensive, around 750 € including shipping. And delays are like 10-12 weeks to have it.

It's always a mess to choose a rig, especially with this kind of music. We play kind of Electric Wizard/Goatsnake stuff.
  20. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

[​IMG]

SP410, if you can find it. Get's loud, but not 410 loud. And definitly has enough lows, maybe more than your 410. I can play with a loud drummer just fine, but if it were up to me I'd stack 2 of these so I wouldn't be driving my tube head too much. Weighs 65lbs so it won't break your back.
  21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    It gets about 210 loud. 65 pounds for a 210's output in volume is heavy.