Little guitar works Torzal twist bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seatomon, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Seatomon

Seatomon Supporting Member

Hey guise,
    I've been having tendonitis problems with my wrists and elbows for some time now which has forced me to start playing short scale, and now almost stop playing all together. my wrists and elbows are better for it, but my soul hurts a little.

Just wondering if anyone has played any typre of torzal twist bass anw what it was like? And if anyone from Australia has one that they would be willing to let me play so I can decide whether or not to buy one, as they are not cheap things to acquire. :bassist:

2. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I have one on order.
    Turn your bass neck at roughly a 35 degree angle ( probably while sitting down) and feel how much easier it is to fret your bass. No wrist pain!

3. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

I have one. If you go to Jerome's site (which you probably already have), the one on the home page with the single MusicMan style pickup is mine.

I really, REALLY love this bass! It's a very comfortable bass and much more natural feeling than you would think. Coming from a Fender Jazz, I don't think it took me more than 10 minutes to get used to it.

It will definitely help with your tendinitis (at least it did with me) but it's not a magic bullet. It won't make up for deficient technique but it is significantly more comfortable to play than my Jazz and WAY more comfortable than my Jack Casady Signature. (Sorry Jack!)

Two things I think you should keep in mind before you buy it (Torzal owners or Jerome: please correct me if I'm wrong or am missing something): 1) Since the neck is twisting, I have not found a way to bend strings or use heavy vibratro. I didn't use these things before so I haven't really tried to figure it out though. 2) I switched to floating thumb technique from keeping my thumb anchored on the E & A strings. With the Torzal however, I find it more comfortable to play with my thumb anchored. Since I have a 4-string this doesn't affect the playability but 5 & 6 stringers should look into this.

I can't say enough about how good this bass sounds, how effortlessly it plays, how good it looks, how well it's built, how perfectly it balances, what a great guy Jerome is to work with, etc.

I don't know how helpful this is but if you send me specific questions, maybe I can be more helpful.

4. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

I have also been doing a lot of stretching stuff. You may already be doing these things but I may have a few techniques you're not doing. PM me if you want.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Svend Kristense

Svend Kristense Supporting Member

Hi There
    I am about to order at Torzal bass due to pain in my left arm.
    Unfortunately there is som waiting time, meanwhile I have solved the problem this way, with a dish cloth rolled as a sausage and taped on the back on my Jazz bass on the backside on the upper half of the guitar body. This is twisting in the whole bass and relieving some of the stress in my arm and wrist.

7. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

One thing to remember about the Torzal basses is that it isn't JUST the twist in the neck. It's also the light weight, the absolutely perfect balance, the scooped back, the shifting of the neck back towards the body. Jerome has really thought out every aspect of designing an ergonomic bass, the neck is just the most visually striking aspect.

8. edervjo

edervjo

Thanks Dave! I have been contemplating a Torzal myself, and your review cements my resolve to start my build.

About your thumb position, could it be that because of the bridge rotation toward you, you do not need to float the thumb to reach the G string anymore? This sounds like an advantage to 5/6 players?