1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

little help with this fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sikksixx, Jan 1, 2013.

1. sikksixx

sikksixx

to start off i'm new here so i'm pretty sure i'm asking this in the right place if not then sorry :)

but im wondering about a fender jazz 5 string i received for Christmas. S/N ICS11078585 wondering exactly what type of jazz bass is it or the date. iv searched on google which lead me here iv searched on the fender dated area maybe its just me but i dont seem to find my bass. maybe im just blind >.<

even went on samash and GC searched by image
    seems like it closely resembles a modified vintage jazz 5 string.

iv only owned ibanez basses
    i love them there tone and they are not heavy at all.
    even went with a schecter LOVED the lightness of it.

so you might see why i never gone with a fender.
    a bit to heavy for me never been a fan of the neck.
    to bright in sound but that can always be changed.

but it was a gift and to be honest this fender has grown on me a bit. i just like doing a bit of research first on my basses.

so def any help i can get i really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Squier VM 70's Jazz V, made in Indonesia in 2011.

I had the 4 string version, it was a good bass, a bit on the heavy side.
  3. sikksixx

sikksixx

thanks so much for the response.
    i really appreciate it

and yeah it is a bit heavy.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman

I have only heard good things about those. That's a nice looking bass!
  5. sikksixx

sikksixx

thanks! :)

and yeah sound is a little different than what im used to.
    but its good to have variety
  6. audiomitch

audiomitch

First off it's a Squier, not a Fender. I had the 4 string version of that bass and thought it was a pretty nice bass.
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I love when people say this LoL
  8. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

I've played this bass at my local music store, and loved it. Enjoy the bass, great gift!!!
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Technically, it's a Squier by Fender. As it says on the headstock , designed by, and backed by Fender. If a dealer sells a Squier, it's Fender that makes the profit. The Squier name is owned by Fender, and the people who actually manufacture them are contracted by Fender. For all intents an purpose, Squiers ARE Fenders, but to solely designate it as Fender without including the Squier name first is indeed misleading.
  10. audiomitch

audiomitch

I haul mine around in my 2007 Mercedes Caravan. It says Dodge on it, but the parent company was Daimler-Benz at the time.
  11. audiomitch

audiomitch

Craigslist is full of "Fender Squiers". I don't even click on a lot of the so-called "Fender" ads because most of the time it's really a Squier.
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

From many accounts, you've got a very nice bass there. I remember seeing one sold last month at my local Guitar Center to a kid who had to have been in high school. We got to chatting and when I told him "I've heard very good things about that.", his agreement/reaction told me he'd done his research.

Props to the kid's dad, who was there to make the purchase, for getting him a good start in The Deep End! :bassist:
  13. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

If you're tryin to find date codes you'd better be looking @ Squire.