Little things you like for no reason

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

We have some things that are essential to make a bass a purchase to consider, such as the string number, the tone, the build quality, etc. This is not about those things. This is about those little things that really are of no importance, but you like anyway. Another way to put it: if you were given a choice between two basses equal in all things but having certain minor non-deal-breaker features, what would be the minor things that might make you choose one or the other?

For me, I like bolt-on necks. I don't know why. Again, it's not a deal-breaker, but something about a bolt-on appeals to me.

Also, basses that have two very different pickups appeal to me; for example, how MM basses can have a humbucker and a single coil pickup. It gives a vibe of greater tonal diversity to me, though two similar pickups in different positions can create similar diversity, and it's sort of case-by-case, I guess.
  2. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Ash trays and thumb rests, just feels right.

Oh, and rosewood fretboards.
  3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Basses.
    No reason... just like them.
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

In the past, everything HAD TO HAVE rounded edges. Still, to this day I prefer that the pups have "rounded" edges,as opposed to sharp edges ( Does that make sense to you people?lol). And, the body edges ABSOLUTELY have to be rounded, still. Come to think of it, I truly think that's why I don't have a Ric in my arsenal.

Damn!! I'm as picky about my basses as my ex-wife (a.k.a. "Satan") use to be about how my breathing pattern was.......
  5. Robertjoel

Robertjoel

rounded edges and light colors tend to appeal to me, maple boards also look better to me nine times out of ten.
  6. Spectrum

Spectrum

I prefer block inlays to dots, on most basses. Just looks better.

I am also picky about body shapes. Fenders, Rics, and a few others are okay, but I have never liked long skinny bodies like Ibanez or Spector, even though they are fine instruments. The horns have to be a certain shape, too, not too thin or too thick, and I don't like single cutaways. They remind me of a human ear. Some shapes work on a guitar for me but not for a bass.

Basically, there are so many instruments to pick from that we can afford to be picky. Unless you're one of those unfortunate souls who plays left-handed.
  7. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

I have few. I need to have all maple neck but then again i don't think it's a minor thing cause i think it changes the tone quite a bit. The minor things i have to have if possible are reverse headstocks and black blocks. These just look so nice to me. I happily own a jazz bass and a p-bass with all those things.
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

It must be a classic design in the body and the headstock. Not that it really MUST be, but I gravitate towards Fenders/Squiers, Rics, Gibsons/Epiphones, Reverends etc... just because of the classic looks of most of their models. The Ibanez, Zon, Yamaha "stretch" look just isn't my thing.

I don't know if that's classified as a little thing, but that's the only thing I can think of. Basically if it's got strings i'll play it. :D
  9. BOOCAKE4U

BOOCAKE4U

i like the old-fashioned output jacks because they don't surprise you with 140dB popping sounds when you least expect it
  10. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I like knurled P-bass type knobs, and all the tuners on the same side of the headstock. Neither one is a deal-breaker tho.
  11. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

For me: quality craftsmanship, reasonable price, and attractive aesthetic choices. That means a well-made product that costs what it should and doesn't look purposely chintzy because it is made to fit a market niche.

I know they aren't as important as tone that fits nicely behind everything in a mix, "tried and true"/"down home"/"good 'ol boy"/"merica" imagery, brand recognition, and the like... but I have un-Bassist like tastes ;)
  12. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I wouldn't call these little things.
  13. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

They must be little because so many builders overlook them in the name of greater profit.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like the standby switch on my Fodera. I wish I had one on every bass, but I don't.
  15. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Bolt-ons. I've fallen for the idea that they provide more growl. My brain says "THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!" and I just run with it. Though, Fodera did do that comparison and it seemed to hold true...

Other things:

- Fender inspired headstocks but not so much the real deal.
    - Brubaker finishes
    - Sadowsky knobs
    - The 4-in-line jazz bass knob layout
    - Matched pickups
  16. cnltb

cnltb

natural finish on my instrument.
    Colours will start to get on my nerves with time.
    5 in-line tuners. Because I'm used to it and feel it is comfortable.

Not for no reason tho...
  17. Wallace320

Wallace320

... just because I feel envy for whoever cites/owns/tries/senses a Fodera bass:hyper:

I'm kiddin'

Minor things (to many) that aren't minor to me are quality tonewood (I'm the agathis/pine/beech nemesis) and the opportunity to already have (or to add) an Hipshot bass extender

Cheers,
    Wallace
  18. pklima

pklima

Ha, I'm play lefty and left-handed instruments are on my "I guess that's sort of nice, but not really important" list. I'll play lefties or righties, don't really care as long as there's no massive neck dive.
  19. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

I like the tuners to be on both sides of the headstock, 99% of the time. The only exception would be a Modulus. I do not own one, but if I did, I wouldn't complain.

I don't really like traditional basses, like fenders/squires/etc...

I do like a very low bottom horn...
  20. bootsox

bootsox

Everything else the same, I'll always take the bass with a white finish, stainless steel frets, toggleable active/passive EQ (aka not just plug it in viola it's active, but you have to hit a switch to turn it on), metal nut, open gear tuners, or a high-mass bridge