Live audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Live audition...that is, a gig as your audition. Who's done it? Mind you, I did rehearse with these guys once.

Thoughts/experiences?
  2. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't do well if I did. That's why I wouldn't do it. I need a lot of rehearsal. But that's me.
  4. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Yes, I've done it plenty of times, including the main band that I play with these days. Usually, it's for cover bands or other bands with simple music where they supply charts. There's also usually a mutual friend involved. It's always nerve racking and tough to keep yourself 'on it,' but so are sub jobs, and sub jobs can pay decently at times.

I don't think it's happened off of a craigslist ad or someone I ran into at a Guitar Center. However, I did meet a random touring musician at some hot springs while skinny dipping and taking my glaucoma medication. We got to talking, and he got me to fill in on bass that night.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

7. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I can't say I've done a gig as an "audition", but I've subbed for bands without ever playing with them. Usually I know them and have seen them play, so I know what I I'm in for. I agree it's rather nerve racking though - I'd rather have even a short rehearsal beforehand. Still, just do your best and try and have fun. They won't expect you to be perfect (or at least they shouldn't).
  8. jaywa

jaywa

That's how I auditioned for my current band.

I had a history with their lead guitarist based on various sub jobs and one-offs we had done over the years. He had joined this band and was sharing time on bass with the lead singer, and had been recruiting me to join them so he could go back to guitar full-time... but I was busy with another band. Well my band at the time started having drama and not gigging as much so I told my friend I was interested in his deal and he told me to come down to a local gig and check them out. I got there, they showed me the setlist, said "how many of these songs do you know" and I strapped on the LG's bass and played about 6 songs with them, unrehearsed. Cover stuff I had played in other bands (including my current one) so no big deal. Couple weeks later I met the BL for a beer and he offered me the job and here I am.

For cover band situations there are actually some benefits to a live audition cause it gives you a lot of insight into things that may make you decide whether YOU want the gig or not. You get to see how a crowd responds to the band, how the members interact onstage, what kind of stage volume/mix they run, etc.

Of course in my case it also helped that I was friends with a member of the band who had been pushing for me to be hired for awhile to begin with.
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

My audition with my country band was as a sub about three or four years ago. Didn't know anyone in the band except the bassist I was filling in for. Last minute deal, I had no set list, nothing. Someone would name a song and a key (maybe) and off we'd go. I became their "go to" sub for a couple of years, and joined the band as full time regular a little over a year ago.
  10. xgator4u

xgator4u

THIS. There is usually quite a bit of difference between rehearsal and a gig. Playing at a gig for the audition puts ALL of the cards on the table.
  11. preside

preside

Did this for my current band. The basterds gave me a set list of about 25 songs to chart out and learn then, at the gig, proceeded to call out tunes I had heard but not learned. The leader just wanted to see how I handled pressure and how fast I could think on my feet.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Treat it as a gig. If you can handle going on stage with minimal rehearsal, you might enjoy the freelance thing more than being tied to a band. I treat every gig as an audition.
  13. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Thanks for the responses guys. I couldn't check out that other thread in detail because I was on my phone. I think it'll be good...they've sent me the songs, it's basically half originals and half covers. I definitely think that given how much I already have on my plate, it'll be good to kinda speed the process along and really see quickly if this band is right for ME, let alone if I'm right for them. So, yeah. Wish me luck!
  14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Cool, not for everyone.

It's the kind of pressure I would not subject myself to and I already know I can't think fast on my feet.

Blue
  15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I hate to stir things up, however I have to ask;

Is this 4 hour bar/club gig and will you be paid for your time and efforts?

Blue
  16. xgator4u

xgator4u

AND

Did you get some proper amplification ?
    or are you counting on them to provide a suitable back line for you ?
  17. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I've done it before and while it can be nerve-wracking at times, when it gels it can be a blast, too.

Be confident and relaxed and keep your ears wide open.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
  18. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

I've done it. Got the gig and played with the guy for a year and a half. NEVER rehearsed, EVER. Jut played almost every weekend until I couldn't stand the guy anymore.

I'd rather have at least SOME rehearsal, but yep... I can say I did it and pulled it off.
  19. xgator4u

xgator4u

BUMP for update on audition from O.P.
  20. carvinbassplyr

carvinbassplyr

This is a smart approach since you're only as good as your last performance in the music biz. I've done live auditions, that I didn't know we're auditions, as a fill in. I almost prefer not knowing because mentally you don't put yourself under the microscope and you play more naturally, but I welcome the challenge either way. Being from the gospel world, you get used to having to "show up and show out" with minimum rehearsal. Any gathering/gig/concert/musical you do finds you circled by dozens of other players breathing down your neck while you play as they wait for their groups turn and their shot at trying to show you, and everyone else, up. It's a kill or be killed shark tank setting and while it's not the best environment to learn humility and mutual respect for one another, it gets you used to high pressure situations lol.
  21. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Update: they like me! But, they're also looking for a singer (they had a friend fill in for the gig this past Friday), so things will probably be on hold for a bit. Solid songs, fun to hang and play with. Plus, they have a whole arsenal of covers that they do for paying gigs. So far, so good.